My first ever chicks (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Steve, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

I finally have my much anticipated chicks. I was going to wait until the local feedstore or TSC had chicks available, but after reading a post by Vicki 2x2 about a store nearby having chicks, my plans changed. Thanks Vicki!

I sent the guys off to work and told them I had other things to do (it's nice being the boss) then I beat feet over to Family Farm and Home and decided on what I wanted that was available.

I knew I wanted ISA Browns so I bought 4, I knew I wanted the Americauna to get the various colored eggs, so I bought 3 and I also bought 3 Buff Orpingtons. I really wanted to get some RIR and some Barred Rocks, but there were none, so this is what I will be starting with.

[​IMG]

And a close up of them.

[​IMG]

Thanks again Vicki for the timely post!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] very cute, make sure they can't get out between the bars on that cage....

3. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    Congrats on the babies! Now the egg wait begins and then next spring we'll see your thread on your bator and hatching chicks!! Good Luck [​IMG]

4. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

Quote:Yeah, I temporarily have cardboard for the moment, I am going to get some hardware cloth and make it more "unescapable".

5. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    AWWW, SOOO CUTE! I want some chicks. Although, my 4 hens seem to give me enough things to worry about. I still want some though. You're so lucky!

6. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    Quote:WILDSKY! What happened to your avatar?

7. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    Quote:WILDSKY! What happened to your avatar?

I know I thought it was Purple Chicken, you can't mess with people like that.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  8. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Which ones are the Isa Browns? The darker gold ones? I was just at Family Farm on Plainfield in GR and all they had were RIR's which me being soooo bad bought 2.

9. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Right on Steve! Now you are an addict like the rest of us.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Awww, sweet little chicks! Get a bator and hatch some BR's. I know who has sweet and friendly birds you might get some eggs from!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by