My first ever deformed chick. Pics may be disturbing!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jeslewmazer, Nov 21, 2011.

1. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I will first say if you are squeamish you might not want to look at the pictures.

I have never had a deformed chick this severe. I have had chicks before with 1 with wry neck and maybe a few with crooked toes, but never something this sever. It looks horrible and I am surprised it made it to hatch day. It did not pip, but I understand why. I am kinda glad it did not make it. I don't even know if it would be able to eat or drink. I don't really know what went wrong. Could it have been just a natural fluke? The parents are two separate breeds. They did come from a hatchery, but I don't know if that would have anything to do with it. I have hatched plenty of chicks off of hatchery parents and have never had a problem before. [​IMG]
    It actually has what appears to be 3 eyes (the middle eye looks kinda like it has 2 pupils), 2 top beaks, and 1 lower beak. Also, it seems to have been sucking up the yolk on the side of its abdomen instead of the normal spot.

Get ready for [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    wow, was it born dead?

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow! That is one of the worst I've ever seen!

4. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Yes. I candled it yesterday (it was one of two that had not piped) and had movement. Today still no pip so I candled and saw no movement. Then I opened it carefully just in case I was wrong.

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Holy Moley! Poor baby(s) I have never seen a deformity that bad either, I do believe its a blessing the lil one didn't make it [​IMG]

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

It looks like one of those freak things that just happen sometime. Looks like a single bottom beak and two top beaks? I forget the term for it, but basicly the cells start to divide into twins but don't make it. It's the same type thing with two headed calves and such. I doubt it was caused by hatchery birds, and I'd go so far as to say you could try and try and never duplicate it. Just one of those freak things.

Gross but facinating too.

But oh how I wish it didn't happen in Mississippi..... I can already hear the jokes starting. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  7. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:I thing it's a blessing it didn't. I don't think it would of had even a decent life. [​IMG]

8. jeslewmazer

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Good to know it probably was just a freak thing. And, Yeah I can here the jokes too. [​IMG]

9. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] oh my goodness!

10. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    It is extremely fascinating, I can't seem to stop looking at the pics and the more I do it looks like there were 3 heads forming. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by