My first exotic and chicken auction...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by angie3881, Sep 18, 2011.

1. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

So, drug the husband and one of the kids to my FIRST EVER exotic sale. Missed the white peacock I wanted and everything went higher than I wanted to pay. In the meantime, in the other room... my husband purchases a donkey. (This is the man I drug kicking and screaming who didn't want to go to a d&^* chicken auction) After sitting there determined to buy SOMETHING for 6 hours a cute "chicken" of many colors came through. Nobody else bid on her so I threw my hand up and said YEP! Some guy behind me ran her up to $3.50 but I got her in the end (proud face). She sure did make a lot of noise in the trailer on the way home, but I love my chickens and thought of how lucky she would be to be a part of our family. My husband was only concerned about the donkey and getting him set up in the pasture and getting to the races on time. I set the chicken out of the horse trailer, thinking... wow, she really is pretty. I cut her cage open to turn her out on the opposite side of the chicken house (because I am a good owner, I quarantine any new additions). As I began to release HER, she attacked my head! Shot straight over me... leaving a large scratch down the side of my face. As I watched her run straight out the door I noticed that she had NO feathers under her wings, on her underside or butt. "That's strange" I thought to myself. "I sure hope she doesn't have a disease... gotta get her caught and nursed back to health... why does she sound and act like the Tasmanian Devil???" [​IMG] As she rounded the corner of the coop... she tried to attack my peacocks and every rooster and hen in site. My son and I are trying to catch HER when I notice she has got over 3 inch long spurs on the back of HER legs. "OH, dear God... in my haste and NEED to make a purchase, I have bought a FIGHTING COCK!!!" Well, I won't go into details... but the cute little KILLER "chicken" I brought home for happily ever after" met it's demise thanks to my son. (Quick and painless and for the best of all that is good)
    What lesson did I learn?? My husband should not go to auctions with me and purchase donkeys!!! [​IMG]
    Thanks for reading about my fun and enlightening experience!!

2. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Sounds like my husband lol. If I took him somewhere he wouldn't be able to resist buying something...

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I enjoyed your story! A fighting rooster.....[​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Well done. [​IMG] Not the purchase, but it makes for a great story.

5. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks, guys! Sometimes my life reminds me of that HeeHaw song... "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all..." [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by