My first experiance with giving a chicken a bath (pic heavy)!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by wolfbaine30, Mar 29, 2009.

1. wolfbaine30

wolfbaine30 Crazy Rooster

May 5, 2008
    Blue Ridge,Georgia
    Ok. Now this is my very first time of giving a chicken a bath.....ever. Now the little guy in the pic(at least I think is a guy),is Zack,our Delaware.Its butt fluff looked a little on the ragged side so I decided to try giving it a bath.So here I go looking up on BYC on how to give a chicken a bath,found real good info,and went to work. I got the water ready with a cap full of dog shampoo in it and went and got my boy.
    The post I read said that it would relax the chicken and it would enjoy it,but I was in no way prepared for what was about to happen.I slowly eased the bird down in the water and it didnt protest.So I got the cup and started to pore the water slowly between its shoulder blades. Then as I was pouring its neck feathers started to raise on end,and i was thinking I was about to have a very mad chicken on my hands. Then the wierdest thing happened........it turned in to jello and layed down on its side.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I was as I hollered for my DGF to come see what this bird was doing.Good for us she brought her camera and took pics.I hope yall enjoy....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course the drying process..[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. llamagirl

llamagirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Western NC
    This was too cool! I would have laughed my head off. I do believe you have one relaxed boy there.[​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

[​IMG] Love it!! LOL. He sure liked that spa treatment you gave him!

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    He is in spa heaven! Well done.

5. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    he looks like he is almost asleep

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I came back to look again and I find I have an overwhelming urge to begin singing

Rock A bye Baby

[​IMG]

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    That is so cute!! He looks like he loved his bubble bath.

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I just loved it!! [​IMG] I had to wash one of my hens, and she did the same thing. I told my daughter to hold her head up, didn't want her to drown. I imagine, it must feel realllll good. Great job you did there! [​IMG]

9. bantyhen'sfriend

bantyhen'sfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Southern Wisconsin
    Oh, he's sleepy! I guess a warm bath does that to you! I've never heard of dog shampoo, though. I've always used some Dawn dish soap in a bucket too deep for their feet to touch, swirl them around long enough to clean them, then rinse in another bucket. I use bluing shampoo (for horses or cattle) in another bucket if they're white/buff/stained. [​IMG] Always worked fine for our CornishXRocks, the filthiest birds in the world.

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Too precious!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by