My first goose egg, what to cook?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ScoobyRoo, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I'm sure we got our first goose egg (Pilgrim) last night. If you are wondering, yes, I have a pair and yes, it could be fertile, BUT no, I do not want baby goosies right now. SO,,what do you do with it for cooking? When I searched,, guess what comes up the most? The goose egg you get on your forehead when bumped good and hard.[​IMG]
    Any suggestions for cooking/baking with this huge egg?

2. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    You might have to age it a bit, but they make dynamite hard boiled eggs. Our granddaughter had the best time eating her hardboiled 'goose egg.' Otherwise, it is much like any other egg, just a lot more of it. My daughter told me one goose egg makes enough scrambled egg for 2 adults & 2 children~! I've also used them to bake cookies (double batch).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  3. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I baked a batch of sugar cookies with my first goose egg...delicious! Omelets, cakes, all of that is good with a goose egg...that yolk is reeeeeally thick!

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I agree with the baking as I use my duck eggs for that. I did read that the goose egg has a lot more yolk than white. Wont that alter the cooking? I also thought that the goose egg is a bit rubbery so baking would be ideal over scrambled eggs? Greyhorse, is the goose egg much like a chicken egg but like you said, "more of it"? What about the texture?

5. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    We love duck eggs, which is a bit richer/thicker than a chicken egg. Goose eggs are much like duck eggs, just a lot more ... probably 2-3 duck eggs worth or 3-4 chicken eggs worth. If you think you might not like the thicker/richer taste right off, blend in with some chicken eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by