My first goose ever died =(

Discussion in 'Geese' started by poultrykeeper08, Jan 9, 2009.

1. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Goosey was my first goose i ever had . I stole him from my brothers friends house . I know i know i shouldnt have stollen him but he was beter off . His parents lived wild on the river behind his house and the owner very rarly fed them but they for some reason would always come back to his house . Well they showed up 1 day with babies so i took one . (the owner was going to eat them !) But 2 weeks later a pack of dogs killed his brothers and sisters and his parents !

He was brooded with ducks(in my bed room in a kiddie pool ( i know i know grose ) and was a great pet . After a few days of getting used to me he would follow me around and we were buddies .He came inside our house for frequent visits and he was fine indoors . He would lay down in our walk way like a dog would . He was the flock leader and was very happy . As he grew his flock grew with a turkey, a few other geese and lots of chickens and ducks and pigeons .

Every now and then i would thin out the flock iether because the reproduced alot or the town would TRY and make me , But goosey would never leave our home ,It was after all HIS home too .

For the past 2 years he and his goose flock had there own 12x16 shed . With the exception of a few laying hens . They liked having thier own place and were very happy .

This past spring goosey was slowing down . He started having problems swallowing . he would eat and the food would get stuck at the back of his throat . When he would eat you would think he never ate before in his life !! But that wasnt the case . They always had layer pellets and would get lettuce,bread,tomatos daily .

For the past 3 months he started loosing wieght . You could tell he wasnt feeling well . I had put him on some medicine for a while but it didnt seem to do anything for him and with No poultry vets around here there wasnt much more i could do . He didnt like being seperated from his flok so i let him return . He grew weaker and weaker and i could tell he wouldnt be around much longer .

For the past 3 days he was extremly weak . I brought him inside the house but this time he didnt like it . He would call for his flock so once again i let him return . And today He went to sleep one last time .

I found goosey in the corner of his shed Guarded By his flock . The were screaming at me and hissing . One of my dewlap toulouses that goosey hated and beat up several imes when i first got him even bit my pant leg when i went closer to goosey .

Goosey will be really missed . He was the best goose any one could ask for . I learned alot from him ! And i gave him the best life i could .

He was 6 1/2 years old . Is that old for a goose ??

R.I.P Goosey ! Fly High

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Sorry to hear of your loss, Goosey sounds like he was a cool guy. I had a pet goose as a kid, it was white and loved me. It used to go into the swamp owned by an unfriendly neighbor periodically and they got a canoe out and paddled out in it and shot him.

3. mothergoose1963

mothergoose1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Midwest
    Ohhhhhh! What awful stories! I am sorry for BOTH of you! [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]!...Justin, i'm so sorry to hear about him!....you made me wanna cry!...[​IMG]...wish there was something i could for you!..[​IMG]...take care, Wendy [​IMG]

5. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    so sorry to hear about your lose

6. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad to hear that he had a great life.

Geese can live to be around 20+.

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'm very sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by