My first hatch day 20 and a chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newbiepeepkeeper, Apr 8, 2009.

1. newbiepeepkeeper

newbiepeepkeeper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Knoxville
    [​IMG]
    I'm so excited! It's our first incubation (a still air hovabator). Day 20 today and we started hearing cheeping and spied two with holes. Just minutes ago my first little fuzz went to town "unzipping" and was out! I hadn't lined the incubator, but can see where that is a benefit....carefully I stuck in a liner in sections in order to not mess up the temp/humidity too much. The first one has been hatched about 20 minutes and seems to be doing great! Should I keep a liner or not? I don't want it to get tangled up or suffocate. Can that happen? I'm a "newbie peep keeper" here and love any feedback! I have 16 RIR eggs in the bator, one hatched and 4 more with holes (piping?). [​IMG]

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I use a liner in mine just for easier clean up. It should be good. Good luck with the rest! I have 6 pips too yeah!!! Oh and don't open the bator anymore, lol!! [​IMG] welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  3. newbiepeepkeeper

Apr 8, 2009
    Knoxville
    OK!No more opening the bator! CHECK! What do I do about the thermometer on top of some of the eggs!!!! I also pulled one of the red plugs, should I wait on the plug?...I think I'm more wound up about these birds than when I gave birth to my three daughters! LOL

4. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I wouldn't worry about the thermometer, they will knock it around pretty good before they are done. My bator doesn't have plugs, so not much help there. I would try doing a search and maybe you can find something that way.

5. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, keep that plug out! I've been using a syringe with stiff plastic tubing from a spray bottle on it to squirt water in the reservoirs and all over the floor where the eggs aren't to keep the humidity up. I use the vent hole to do it. So far my humidity is staying about 65 to 70%.
    Congratulations!

6. newbiepeepkeeper

Apr 8, 2009
    Knoxville
    I've got my second chick hatched! Two are out, 3rd making major progress, and a couple others rockin & rollin. I'll be up all night! LOL This is AWESOME! I tried to wake the kids up, but they were not sharing my enthusiasm! I put the plug back in after reading the "hovabator instructions"! lol, it said to go either way (in or out). The zipping (is that right?) seems to be going good with the plug in, they are coming along pretty quick and temp is right at 100. [​IMG] I'm afraid to keep it out and not keep the temp right until most are hatched, then take it out to help them dry.

teddiliza-do you have a hovabator too? I am open to what is best, the instructions aren't crystal clear, it leaves it open to preference. First hatch, I have no preference!

7. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Hope they all made it out ok!!!

8. newbiepeepkeeper

Apr 8, 2009
    Knoxville
    I am so excited about the success of my first hatch!!! I have 11 of 16 eggs hatched as of 8:45 pm. Today is day 21. They've been steady coming since almost midnight last night!

I do have a couple questions though: how long do I give the last 5 eggs to hatch? through tomorrow, day 22? and should I move the others into their brooder between 24-48 hours? I've read a lot of theories on the brooder move, that the chicks can hang in the incubator for up to 3 days without water or food. I have a new baby water dish (they wont drown) but haven't put any dry mash in for them.

I appreciate any ideas! It's been a great experience so far.

OH: and what about vitamins? Some people have said "ploly visol" infant vitamins, or is there something specific from the feed store?

By the way KUDOS to the supplier of my hatching eggs: B Saffles Farms in Tennessee! These are the most precious, healthy babies! I'd say 11/16 is pretty good so far for a newbie hatcher! Must be the eggs:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by