My First Hatch! *Hatching Update!*

mar013q

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 31, 2011
Maryland
Today is day 19 and I am so excited and nervous for my first hatch. I'm a preschool teacher and a few months ago my students and I tried to hatch 12 eggs at school. After hatching I planned to take them home. Well, the children (3-5 years old) kept messing with the incubator and we had a very unsuccessful hatch. One of the parents brought in 24 eggs so we could try again. He said there are four different types of chicken eggs but didn't know which types they were. He got the eggs from a neighbor.
I decided to just take the incubator and all the eggs to my house so they eggs would have a chance! They have been in a Little Giant incubator for 19 days now. The temperature and humidity have been fairly stable. I had some trouble maintaining the temperature and higher humidity last night to prepare for day 19. Right now its 99.5 degrees and 70% humidity. I really hope some of my eggs hatch. I candled at day 7, 14, and 18. We're down to 14 eggs that seem to be doing well. Wish us luck!
eggs005.jpg

Last edited:
I am SO excited! I went to check the temp & humidity and almost didn't notice three eggs have started to hatch! One has a small crack, one has a piece of the shell gone, and one has it's beak sticking out!

chicks8pm006.jpg

chicks8pm011.jpg

chicks8pm014.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! Chick #20 is really moving a lot and I see it's little beak moving. I'm assuming it will hatch first so I have my video camera set up to film that egg when it's ready.

eggs10pm008.jpg

A little pip has started almost right on the X. This is the fourth egg, out of 14, to pip. They have started to peep too!

Back
Top Bottom