My First Hatch - The Adventure Begins

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bob1956, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Bob1956

Bob1956 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    The big day has arrived, and it’s the start of my first quail adventure.

This is my first attempt at hatching eggs, I have acquired 12 x fertile japanese quail eggs.

[​IMG]

I am amazed at the size and colour variations in the eggs. The length of my eggs range from 35.7mm - 32.6mm long and 26.5mm and 25.6mm in diameter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The eggs went into the pre warmed incubator today at 12.00pm (Mon 15th August). I am dry incubating, and will only add water on day 15, and raise the RH to 70% ready for hatching.

[​IMG]

The incubator temperature is set to 37.5 Celsius. The temperature dropped when the eggs went in but recovered within 30 minutes, perhaps due to the small size of the incubator. I will reduce the temperature on day 15 to 37.0 Celsius.

[​IMG]

I will keep updating this thread, and you can follow along as the adventure unfolds.

Regards Bob

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    sounds awesome, you know what color variation birds you might be getting?

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Welcome to the jungle Bob!!! There's a real good chance your already infected!!! I can see alot of symptoms already. Shinny new bator, found a place you can score eggs. Your exhibiting all the early signs of a quail junkie!! Good luck with your addiction... Bill

4. Bob1956

Jul 22, 2011
    Hi Mibotsu

Yeah I am really excited, and we are only on day zero. When I collected the eggs from a local breeder, he let me take them straight from the breeding cages. He had a variety of colours together, Wild, Red, Fawn and Pied. I just took a selection from each cage, so the outcome will be a surprise.

Regards Bob

5. Bob1956

Jul 22, 2011
    Quote:Is there any cure, or treatment that you could recommend ?

Regards Bob

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Congrats on your new adventure! You are going to love all those cute fuzzy babies. [​IMG] And that new incubator, all shiny! Well, good luck with the hatch, and welcome to the quail forums. [​IMG]

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL

Regards Bob

DEATH CURES ALL BOB.... DEATH CURES ALL [​IMG]

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Awesome! Congrats. I hope everything goes smashingly for you.

Do you have a way to candle? I dry incubate everything, but you won't know till you try whether it's the right method for you or not. Do you live in a humid area?

Anyway, if you can candle those babies, I would check them every five days and investigate the size of the air cell. By Day 18, they should take up about 1/3 the volume of the egg. 1/4 is acceptable, but any less than that and you'll have babies drowning in the shell and any more than 1/3 and they won't have space to develop.

If you're candling regularly, you can watch the pace of the air cell development, and adjust humidity accordingly. If it's developing too quickly, you can turn the humidity up a notch. Too slowly, and ... well, you're already dry incubating, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Good luck and have fun!

9. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks

Regards Bob

More pens, more eggs, bigger bator. Don't ask enablers on the quail board how to kick the habit... I assure you everyone here could "quit anytime they want"....They just like to have 100's of quail around in pens... [​IMG] good luck Bob, Bill

10. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011

Regards Bob

More pens, more eggs, bigger bator. Don't ask enablers on the quail board how to kick the habit... I assure you everyone here could "quit anytime they want"....They just like to have 100's of quail around in pens... [​IMG] good luck Bob, Bill

im a confirmed addict. Bill speaks the truth. my incubator has not stopped hatching since early march! mid august and i have babies from quaillady and shellyD zipping right as we speak. i can hear them in the other room... hope to have a good hatch...im sure it will be [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by