My first hatch with bargain's eggs - PICS ON PAGE 3

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Happy Chooks, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I have 8 eggs in my bator for lockdown. (6 welsummer and 2 BR) I think 1 welsummer quit, but I'm not 100% sure, so I left it. The other 7 are rocking around. [​IMG] I hope to have the humidity and temp stable quickly. Humidity got too high, so I had to try to take some water out. Stupid me!

Water added.........check
    Eggs out of turner..........check
    Plugs removed........check
    Windows cleaned for viewing pleasure........check check check!!
    Camera battery charged...........check.

Other than NOT opening the bator until hatch is over, am I missing anything?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Good pair of pacing shoes. [​IMG]

3. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Exciting! [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well I took out the one I thought quit while trying to get excess water out. I did the float test on it, it floated but no movement. I opened it and it had quit early on.

So I have 7 eggs on lockdown.

5. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I can't wait to see pics of these chicks. I go into lockdown Thursday Night!!!! I'm getting Nervous now.

Laney

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Be prepared for a backache. Leaning over the bator so much is like "back labor!" [​IMG] and afterwards you will want to [​IMG] and you will say, [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    This is not going well. I've adjusted the thermostat and entire revolution around and can't get the temp back up to 100. It was holding so well, then I take out the turner, remove plugs and now it's all screwed up.

And to top it all off, now I'm ADDING water. [​IMG] Too high humidity yesterday, too low today.

I hope my babies survive. Day 19 today. I still see occasional wobbling, so that's good.

8. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Quote:Are you using the thermo/hydro from walmart? I noticed that mine read a lower temp when the humidity was higher. I checked with another thermo and the temp was fine. Good luck [​IMG]

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No, not from Walmart. I've had 2 thermometers in there from the beginning. They are both reading about the same. Of course the reading is on the bottom of the bator now, instead of on top of the eggs.

We just had a storm come through Sunday, so maybe that is affecting the temp as well. [​IMG]

10. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Sorry youre having trouble. Ill send good hatching vibes your way! [​IMG] a little off subject though...
    what is this float test you speak of (i got my first batch ever in the bator currently)
    and what is this wobble thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by