My first hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gingersnap6, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Gingersnap6

Gingersnap6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Seven Valleys, PA
    I am trying to document my first hatch and my 4th grader has to do a power point Science Fair Project about it.[​IMG] We have 36 eggs in a still-air Hovabator. We are turning them manually twice a day. The temp is pretty steady at 99 degrees and the humidity is 45-48%. This is Day 5 for the French Silkies (14), Day 2 for the Muscovy ducks and Day 3 for the Runner and Indian Runner ducks (22 total) I have already had a lady local say she wants to buy 6 ducks when they hatch. I am hoping for at least 50% safe hatch. I will post pictures when I figure it out![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    If your incubator is a still air model your temperature should be 102 degrees, not 99......and if you can turn the eggs three times a day instead of two, good luck...

3. Gingersnap6

Apr 15, 2009
    Seven Valleys, PA
    We have 7 days till hatch for the silkies! I got a few "ingredients" last night to create my own incubator for the hatch. A styrofoam cooler & light kit. We also have a 2 ft x 3 ft x 18 in high stock tank in our basement with a heat lamp to put the little guys in when they hatch. We were at TSC and saw the chicks and ducks and my kids wanted to bring them all home! We also have a new hen that was kind of a stray so if this doesn't work, I will try to let her set some eggs. I'm very excited and can't wait for next week![​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  4. Gingersnap6

Apr 15, 2009
    Seven Valleys, PA
    TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!!! I don't see much going on yet but there is one egg that is rolling around a bit. The kids keep looking and trying to find something happening. Keeping my fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by