my first hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by naakte, May 8, 2011.

1. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    i went into lockdown with 7 serama eggs, 4 have hatched, one tried to hatch then stopped and is in heaven now. 2 are still in the bator. All 5 that hatched or tried to had empty yolk sacs. One was dragging it around and they started pecking on it and blood was coming out, so i tied it off using dental floss and clear mecuracrome (sp) of the 4 that hatched and are living 2 are very strong, 2 are sorta weak. should i do anything to help the weaklings get stronger? when can i feed them chick starter?
    Donna in branson

2. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    I only guessing that they are out of the incubator and in a brooder of some type now. They can live off their yolksac for 3 days. I add about a tablespoon of sugar to their water for the first day if they are weak. You can start them on the sugar water and chick starter as soon as they are out of the incubator. You need to dip their beaks in the water to show them how to drink. Be careful not to dip to deep so that they don't suck water into their lungs. I put marbles in their food and water for the first week to get them to peck at it. They learn very quickly what food and water is. Just make sure they are eating and drinking. Have the brooder with a red heat lamp bulb at about at about 95 degrees and reduced that by 5 degrees per week. You can move them outside when they are fully feathered.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  3. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I just read this and am going to try the sugar water thing. One of the weaklings cant even lift its head, and the others were pecking on it. I moved the weakest one back into the incubator last night and lowered the temp in the LG to 94 degrees. ( still had 2 eggs in the LG that had not hatched, so i made the decision to try to save the weakest. This morning, the weakest is no different still wont lift its head. I hope the sugar water will save it.
    Thankyou for the tip
    Donna in Branson

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by