1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first hatches, recent past and continuing.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RonoKT, Jan 31, 2016.

1. RonoKT

RonoKT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Hello all, I have made an introduction thread in the new member area but thought it best to tell the details of my chicken journey here as I have been and am hatching rolling batches of eggs and have plenty of questions I'd appreciate some input on.
    I started out getting some Ross 308 broilers as day old chicks, it was good to start with them as the responsibility of looking after them has a relatively definate deadline (no pun intended), my girlfriend in particular wanted to sample the chicken life before we dove straight in. I also wanted to see if I could handle the foxes, we live in London and our garden is surrounded by families of foxes, who are very bold and used to much slimmer pickings than a chicken coop. The broilers where a success, we still have four that are getting to be a very good size but I have also started incubating. I got a janoel-12 from eBay for £30 delivered, I then got confused thinking I had just watched it, could no longer find it so bought the next cheapest I could find, £35 delivered. I realised my mistake and then felt pleased, the chicken maths was taking effect before I'd set my first egg.

2. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Double post

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  3. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Double post

4. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Double post

5. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    I have also set 12 (now 11) light Sussex and while I have still overfilled I have a better system in place this time and will candle soon to remove any I can.

I think that my main problem has been the lack of proper turning but I have been quite loose with the humidity, just candling and checking against online images, I have started drawing the aircells on with the LS but I don't think humidity has been a problem. I didn't add very much water during any of the hatches and hunting varied from 18% to 45% about 24% for most of the time. During lockdown the humidity was rarely below 75% and frequently as high as 85%.
    To begin with I was using the integrated thermometer and a glass alcohol thermometer I had shortly added to by two cheap temp/hyrometers, I approximated the temperatures based on the many varied readings which began to stress me out. I bought a brinsea thermometer and my temperatures where perfect (37.5C).

6. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    I will post an ID thread when the mystery chick has feathered out some more, in the meantime any opinions on the breed/ mix would be very welcome. I believe the seller keeps seperate pens and they currently sell Light Sussex, Rhode Island Red and Barred Plymouth Rock. They will soon be selling more varieties, so I assume these could also be possible, they are; Vorwerk, Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer, Barnevelder, Black Rock and Ayam Cemani. The seller said it was a light Sussex chick but at the time it was showing very little chipmunk pattern, the pattern developed and now it is feathering out I really don't think it is a light Sussex. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    C[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Double posy

8. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    The two hatching silkies struggled all night and in the morning I removed some more shel from each. The most advanced hatched out in moments after I broke a piece of shell it had been trying to chip all night, the other didn't hatch immediately but my girlfriend saw it hatch a little after I went to work. The final CL egg, I opened up after I could see no movement. The chick was positioned with it's beak behind it's leg. Also there was quite a bit of yolk yet to be absorbed. The silkie egg I thought had quit a while ago had a fully formed chick in it, I would guess it died on day 19, I couldn't find a beak near the aircell.
    I am sure I still made mistakes on this hatch and am looking forward to improving on it but I am very pleased with how it went.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by