My first hatching experience so far

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wifezilla, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Built an incubator out of an old cigar humidor. Managed to get temps stable, but had humidity issues. Decided to do a test with 6 eggs anyway to see if Jack was doing his job [​IMG]

Had veining in all six eggs (go Jack!!)

Then I slowly started to lose eggs. 2 developed cracks, 2 more showed blood rings, but I still have 2 alive and kicking. I have had temp spikes, my son accidentally unplugged it at one point, and last night, the bulb housing split and I had to REBUILD A NEW BATOR at 10pm!!!

Fortunately my fan was still working, the thermostat was still working, and I had extra electrical stuff and an old cooler on hand. Since the electrical housing would require new holes, new set-up, etc... I just went ahead and used that old cooler rather than try to make the pain in the butt little incubator work.

Managed to get temps somewhat stable, figured I would finally get some decent humidity, but NOOOOOO. Still measuring the same (39-42%) that I was getting in the old incubator.

I tried to find another hygrometer locally over the past week but no luck. The reptile store I was going to get one from had closed, and by the time I get one ordered, the ducks will either hatch, or the eggs will have gone bad too.

It will be a freaking miracle if I even get one little duck to hatch after all this, but that is why it is called a "test batch". What a learning experience!!!

Now I have to try and line up a source for day-old ducklings in case I only hatch out one.

Remind me again why I am doing this???? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Just candled again and the two remaining ducks are hanging on.

[​IMG]

3. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    Good luck and happy hatching:woot

4. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks. I need all the help I can get apparently...LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by