1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my first hen sitting on her first eggs. help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LabMama, Oct 12, 2011.

1. LabMama

LabMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    The sticks, VA
    Ok so im still learning all about my chickens and ducks. My hen is sitting on her first batch of eggs (20). she has been sitting on them for a straight week only getting off rarely to eat and drink. I have a few questions. I do know they are fertile as I have seen her and our roo mate many times. How long before they will hatch? what are the odds of all of them surving? and what in the world do I do with them once I have them? When I got these chicks I had them in a brooder I just bought them from tractor supply. do I let her raise her babies and I stay out of it or will I need to put them in a brooder? I live in va and its getting cool at night.also I want them to be tame and let me touch them where as my hen and roo do not.. Im just so lost.

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Ideally mama would take care of them, if you see she isn't taking care of them (keeping them warm, pecking at them, etc) then put them in the brooder.

3. LabMama

LabMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    The sticks, VA
    thanks so much, do you think it would be to cold for them out there at nights though?

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Probably not, she'll lay on top of them to keep them warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by