My first homade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shanebeas, Mar 27, 2009.

1. shanebeas

shanebeas Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    Saint Pauls ,NC
    ok i built my first homade cabnet incubator set my eggs last night i had an old!!!!!!!! and i mean old !!!!!!!!! GQF cabnet incubator one of the first ones they built i designd it off of that one and the dickeys i already had some lg auto turners so i put them to use and come up with this.yes it is large and alot of dead space in it but i did that for a reason so if later on i wanted to add more turners i can now all i have to do is build the hatching trays it has 3 turners and 3 hatching trays.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and these were born today they are still hatching they are buff orpingtons and rir
    [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/21055_100_1413.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

WOW! That is a fantastic incubator. Nice nice nice!

3. hobbieorb

hobbieorb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    wythe, Virginia
    I built myself an incubator on the same principle as yours, but i am having an awful time heating it. I bought an GQF electronic thermostat and heating element, not there fan, I thought I had a nice fan but I can only heat it to 90 degrees. The element works nice till the fan is on, and the fan cools the element to much (I think). does your fan move much air (blows fast or hard) ? Any advice would be greatly needed. Hers is a picture of mine without the heating works.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    no one has asked so i will whats up with the eggs on the bottom lol anyways nice looking bator sure beats the styroafoam ones next to it

5. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    omg , hatch much? [​IMG]

6. bcboy

bcboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    Vernon
    Nice job!!!Thanks for posting your homemade incubator. Can you tell us what kind of fan you used and where you bought it? Same with the heating coil. Thanks for your time.

7. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I built mine out of a free wine fridge off craigslist.....I added the insulation wrap as well a 250w Incukit from Incubator Warehouse.....I have made several changes and love it....I hope to do some bigger hatches for others this coming spring and will keep everyone updated but they are surprisingly easy to build and fun! I hope to find another fridge soon as I have had alot of people asking about purchasing one so I hope to maybe make a little extra $ on the side....Best of Luck to you all.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. bcboy

Aug 12, 2012
    Vernon
    Thanks for posting pictures of the inside of your incubator!!!
    Please keep the pictures them coming ans let us know what you use to make them.
    [​IMG]

9. ftwchopper

ftwchopper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2009
    woodstock connecticut
    It looks like shanebeas is using the gqf fan assembly and wafer thermostats.Nice incubator ! I bet it was 1/3 the cost building that one vs a new gqf sportsman.

10. bcboy

Aug 12, 2012
    Vernon
    Please post some pictures of the inside of the GGF. Thanks again.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by