MY FIRST HOME-GROWN BABY!*pics of the first baby*second baby out!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklove334, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have my VERY first home-grown baby duck!!!!

he/she is ADDORIBLE, momma is Mouse, one of my mallards, daddy is MOST likely, Mojo who is a Blue and white...mutt, magpie, blueswedish..mutty thing.

the baby is blue with a yellow chest, and yellow wingtips, and slightly mottled feet, looks like blue swedish, but he came from a MALLARD egg.

I'll post pics tomorrow, computer wants to be evil tonight

the other egg hasn't pipped, but is peeping and moving!!!, I can't wait to see what color this one is!

I'm keeping both these little guys atleast until I know what they are.

I have a question, the eggs were putt under our OEG mix who has other eggs that arn't ready to hatch(chicken eggs), I know she will tonight, but tomorrow, will she stay with the babies, and eggs, or try to move off with them, they're about 5 feet off the ground in a nest box.,

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    well, it's 5:18 in the morning, and I cannot sleep. I went out and checked the ducklings again, the 2nd egg hasn't hatched yet. buuut I can see his beak and head from the aircell, so I take it that means he's pipped it? the other baby was atleast an hour old when I found it, making it now about 9-10 hours old..if theres no external pip by the time I go out in......an hour and half [​IMG], should I help it??

3. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    That's eggs-citing! ahaha, too funny this early

4. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    No, I wouldn't help yet. It's probably resting, absorbing the yolk right now and if you try to help, it may not make it. It can take 48 hours to hatch after pipping. I usually don't even start to worry about mine until the 36 hour mark. As long as the duckling is breathing, moving, and peeping, he's O.K..

5. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    ok, finally, here are pics of the first baby!

[​IMG]
    heres his/hers cute little body! doesn't it look like a blue swedish?

[​IMG]
    heres it's cute little foot!, both feet look like that, it has black legs

and just because, heres the egg it hatched from!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the other baby is starting to hatch too! it pipped the membrane, and had started en external pip, I broke the hole to make it alittle bigger, this one looks like a mallard!

I'll be sad to take them from their foster momma, Naomi, the little OEG mix that we got from Birdlover here on BYC.

but she won't be childless for long, she has two of her own eggs that SHOULD hatch in the next week,we're going to let her raise her chicks.

6. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    well, the other baby is out...but he's not doing very good,

his neck is bent and stiff, and his feet look,wierd..he hasn't fluffed out like he should have, instead all his fuzz is stuck to his skin, his eyes are crusted shut...AND he's still got abit of yolk left outside his body..I don't think he's going to make it. his sibling is still nice and healthy.

what are the chances the second will survive given his condition??

7. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    Anything's possible but honestly, it doesn't sound good.

8. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    well, unfortubatlt the second baby didn't survive.

i'm at a loss with the first baby, the hen can't keep it, it's going on two days old and still hasn't eaten. i tryed putting it with the other older chicks but they pecked at it. i don't want it hurt..

i don't have any other ducklings hatching any time soon either

tsc isn't getting ducklings anymore..off to craigslist

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I had the same problem. I taped a turkey feather duster inside the brooder and also put a mirror in there. It seemed to help JJ (and later Uno) not imprint too much on me. Both ended up friendly well-adjusted ducks.

10. Deedee

Deedee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Kilgore, TX
    So sorry you lost the second baby. But your first is as cute as a button. Congrats!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by