My first home-grown baby!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ~GoneWild~, Mar 18, 2012.

1. ~GoneWild~

~GoneWild~ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    My california white rock hatched a single baby a couple days ago... so proud.. who knew they were such good mommies? Do all california white rocks get broody.. or just mine?

[​IMG]

2. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I can't say about the broodiness but the picture is priceless. The chick is so small! Precious!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Who's more proud? You or chicken mom?

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    How precious. [​IMG]

5. ~GoneWild~

Jul 25, 2011
    lol, my momma chicken is doing such a great job! I had to pick up the baby to look at it and the mom was so offended and got all puffed up... it was cute.. I went out today and got another picture while I fed them [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

White Rocks are white colored Plymouth Rocks. Most folks think of Barred Rocks as a breed, but it's a shortened version of Plymouth Rocks - Barred.

Plymouth Rocks are occasionally broody, yes. Even more so if they are from a breeder instead of a hatchery.

She's a great momma - the photos are adorable!
    [​IMG]

7. ~GoneWild~

Jul 25, 2011
    I got her as a chick last year from a feed store.. but can't seem to fin any local this year.. =/

8. TinkyFeathers

TinkyFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Aww that's adorable! Did you seperate your broody or leave her with everyone?
    I'm just wondering cause I'm setting eggs under my broody soon.

9. ~GoneWild~

Jul 25, 2011
    She actually seperated herself... she chose an unthinkable spot wedged between two old hay bales under our old carport... but I was worried when she hatched the chick that predators would try to get at them since she's out of the nest now... so I put her in a large pin I picked up for dirt cheap at a local feed store. There's a ferral cat that occasionally scopes out my field so.. i wanted the best start for momma and baby. [​IMG] I do hhowever reccomend serparation especially if the hens share nesting boxes... the other hens will just continue to lay in the broody hen's nest and soon she'll be overloaded and you won't know when to expect the hatching babes unles you mark them.. or seperate broody chicken and cross your fingers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by