My first home made incubator.

icemanchicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Ok so after lack luster hatches out of my 3 styrofoam incubators. My last one not included. I decided to make my own. I had a 2ft x 2ft x 6ft snake enclosure i never finised made out of melamine. So i added a door made out of 3/4 treated plywood. To attach the door i used Piano hinge. For the latches i used four clasp like you would find on a tool box. On the inside i used wire closet shelves for my racks and for turners im using the ones from my sytrofoam ones. I also used the heating supply and thermostat from one of the bators. For extra heat i purchased a set of porcelein insulators and a heater coil off of ebay. The fan im using came from an air hockey table. So far it heats up and stays constant just fine, and i still have room to add more racks and turners if i need to. And i plan on adding a hatching tray in the bottom. And without further adoo here are some really crappy pics i took in the dark with my phone.

63825_img_0111.jpg

63825_img_0112.jpg

63825_img_0113.jpg

63825_img_0114.jpg

63825_img_0116.jpg

Wonderfully great design!!! I like the use of the wafer thermostat in large incubators! The only big thing that I would do here is drill some holes for vents. I would put two on the sides close to the bottom, and two or three on the top. Your eggs will need fresh air, and you will need a way to control humidity. You can cover them with some cut sheet metal, or duct tape. Remove, or add duct tape, and or close or open the vents to help control humidity. I would also try to find one more fan if you can. Mount it on the other side of your other fan but blow it up towards the top of the bator. Blow the other down. Kinda what I'm doing with this incubator here.

GREAT JOB!!!

67636_img_0971.jpg

67636_img_0970.jpg

67636_img_0973.jpg

Yeah i was thinking about another fan, The pics were rough but there are 6 3/4 inch holes at the top and the bottom.

Great!!! Then you are set and ready to go!!!! I have 3 in mine as well. The vent holes are perfect!

I use these little cheap thermometers and one good thermometer/hygrometer. You can't see the thermometer really well, it is the kind they sell for fridges. Just make sure you know how off it is by droping the probe into a glass of iced water. (not ice water) Iced water is a glass full of crushed ice, packed full and then add water till the top wet with water. The reading should be 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C.

67636_test.jpg

Back
Top Bottom