My first humane cull :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, Sep 30, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    I just had to cull one of my broody hens chicks, the poor little thing was born yesterday or the day before and as I moved the broody and her babies I noticed this little one still had its eyes shut and could not lift its own head although appeared to have strength to push itself around. I left it with mumma and made sure it was well covered by her when I put them into their new nest, but this morning she had the other chicks out scratching and I found this little one flat out beside the nest. I thought it had already died but as I held it realised that every so often it would take a deep breath. All its strength had gone and it still couldn't open its eyes even though I could open them for it, so I sent the poor little one on its way to a better place. It was surprisingly easy seeings though it was suffering and I just knew what had to be done. Shame I cant feel that way about the 7 roo's I want to turn into soup, I have no emotional attachment to 5 of them but have found every excuse under the sun to put it off!
    RIP little chick [​IMG]

2. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] I just went through this with my first hatch.

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    [​IMG] , [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I know the feeling! I have become attached to my entire flock which includes 3 roo's. I've come to the conclusion that they are my pets and will not be culled unless absolutely neccesary![​IMG]

6. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    [​IMG] Sorry.

7. LadyBirdsPalace

LadyBirdsPalace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    UpNorth
    I had to do my first one last night!

Ten years on the farm and I've always gotten away with making my husband take care of all that side of things...fine time to be at work honey!

You do what you have to...[​IMG]

8. Chickenberry

Chickenberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aw, that actually made me a little teary-eyed... Hugs to you..

9. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Sorry [​IMG] I have loved every rooster I've ever had, but if I ever go to a friend's house or somewhere else, the roosters will ATTACK ME OMG I HATE THEM. So if any of yours attack you it's time for some rotisserie or something. (lol i'm a vegetarian) XD

10. wishingbee

wishingbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    SW Washington
    That's so sad.. [​IMG] It was kind of you to help it pass. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by