My first incubating experience

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mlaff, Mar 20, 2013.

1. mlaff

mlaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    I was so excited to but my eggs in the incubator last Friday. It is my first attempt at hatching eggs myself. It took me 3 days to get the temp and humidity just right. My hatch date is April 5th. I planned it so my kids will be home to see them hatch. I thought I'd share some of my pics I have gotten so far. My kindergartener is actually doing an extra project in school. She is making a poster board of their development and when they hatch. When she gets back from spring break she gets to present it to her class, along with the baby chicks.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mlaff

Mar 25, 2012
    The pictures are days 1-4. I can't really see anything on the darker eggs. All of the pictures are of the silkie eggs I am hiding from my husband, I told them they were just extras. LOL he wants egg layers and I want some pretty ones. Out of 15 I have been able to see development in about 7 or 8 eggs.

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    pretty!!!

4. mlaff

Mar 25, 2012
    Thanks! I can now see an eye in one of the silkie eggs. My problem is that I don't know how to tell if my darker eggs are developing or not. I can't see any veins because they are too dark. I'm scared one of them is going to explode and ruin the rest. Any suggestions?

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    have a glass of wine and relax!

6. gingerly1983

gingerly1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Grand Ridge, Fl
    Hah!!! I second that!

7. TheCrazyChick

TheCrazyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I will be doing my first incubating next week, and I plan on following the above advice quite often! For purely medicinal purposes of course.

1 person likes this.
  8. mlaff

Mar 25, 2012
    I think I may just need that glass of wine. Lol. It is pretty stressful.

9. mlaff

Mar 25, 2012
    Here is the newest picture. You can see their eyes. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mlaff

Mar 25, 2012
    I have to say I am kinda obsessed. Lol I have already picked out more eggs for the next round. I go tomorrow to pick up some silkies and showgirls and we'd I'm off to get frizzled ee. My husband keeps telling me there is a limit but won't tell me what it is. Lol so ill just keep going until he finally makes me stop. Oh, forgot to mention the red blue lace wyandottes,turkens, red leghorn I am waiting to hear about. Oh how I am going to be killed. Might as well move in with the chickens.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by