My first incubator hatch...Help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluebootsfarm, Sep 1, 2008.

1. bluebootsfarm

bluebootsfarm New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    Southworth, Washington
    My eggs pipped at 6 am this morning. Tiny little hole thru shell. No other progress all day. Am I worried? How long from pip to complete hatch? Thanks

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It can sometimes take up to 24 hours before the chick completely hatches out of the egg. You might end up waking up in the morning to chicks in your bator! If not, it will probably be sometime tomorrow that they hatch. Sending you lots and lots of good hatching vibes! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

WELCOME TO BYC, by the way! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    [​IMG] I'm not sure, I am working on my first hatch too. I hope everything turns out ok. [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

4. bluebootsfarm

bluebootsfarm New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    Southworth, Washington
    Thank you for the advice. So, if they hatch in the middle of the night they are safe in the inubator? I thought (read) I had to remove them as soon as they were dry.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They'll be fine in the incubator for at least 48 hours. I had some hatch last night and I'll probably leave them in until tomorrow afternoon or evening to give the other eggs that are pipped a chance to hatch.

6. poultrylady

poultrylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    You do not have to remove them as soon as they are dry. They can live up to three days in the incubator. Actually it is best to let most all your eggs hatch before you open the incubator. I f you keep opening and closing it to take out chicks you will ruin the humidity for the others that have not hatched, making it very hard for them to pip out.

7. bluebootsfarm

bluebootsfarm New Egg

Aug 12, 2008
    Southworth, Washington
    Thanks everyone! So much for chicken books...give me chicken people any day! I thought once they made their little pip they would really go to town. Not worried any more AND I guess I don't have to pull an all nighter to remove dry chicks![​IMG]

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I pull chicks after 24 hrs, yes they dont need food or water, but the sooner the better. They will be weaker if you wait 3 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by