My First Layer!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Georgia Dream, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Georgia Dream

Georgia Dream Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2014
    Georgia
    Hey y'all

Im new to this chicken raising. Ive had my two girls and one rooster for about 6 months now. Well today i found one of my girls in a nest under the coop. Im assuming shes beginning to lay since she was walking around just fine this morning.. Any advice for when to collect her eggs or how to determine she just isnt ill?

Thanks so much!

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    If birds are ill,they don't run to the nest.I'm assuming she's gonna lay,but most times pullets,just will sit to practice.
    What breeds do you have?

3. Georgia Dream

Dec 26, 2014
    Georgia
    I have American Game, two hens and one rooster, Blackberry (my laying hen) laid an egg in her "nest" and it shocked me because it had some blood on it, she left the nest shortly after im assuming laying it, and didn't return the rest of the day. She was off with the rooster romping around in the garden. Now shes in the coop, didn't even mind the spot she sat at, the only thing off about her is she will stop in the middle of pecking or whatever and just screech really loud, then back to pecking she goes. Now sure what to make of it. Is that normal for a laying hen?

Thanks for the reply :)

4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Well most first layers cackle,after laying.
    Mines make no peeps,no cackle.They just hop in the box,lay an dget it over with.
    It's not unusual for a hen to cackle,even if it's not a first timer.
    I've had many go around with hens,and mines like I said before never really cackle,they make a loud rawk rawk RAWK sound.
    update

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC and congrats on getting that 1st egg!

We have 6 different chicken breeds in our mixed flock and it's funny how different they are about singing the egg song. The Red Sex Links and the Speckled Sussex rarely sing. The Black Australorp are the loudest and the others (Easter Egger, Barred Rock and Rhode Island Reds) fall somewhere in between.

6. Georgia Dream

Dec 26, 2014
    Georgia
    Well this morning she is going great, no more screeching just her normal behavior, thanks so much for the advice, it really helped. For being my first time with chickens. It was actually not to bad. I think im a sold chicken lover now. lol :)

7. Georgia Dream

Dec 26, 2014
    Georgia
    Thanks! wow, thats a lot of chickens! lol I currently have american game but im soo in love with the barred rock! I hope one day i can get a little gaggle of those girls for myself, but im unsure if i should take on some with my currently little cluster i have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by