My First Lock Down any TIPS!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhino533, May 8, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Finally my first Lock Down. Does anyone have any tips/advice? I started off with 16 eggs 5 were duds and 6 died along the way so now I have 5 eggs that look healthy and hopefully will hatch. The 6 that died all died at the same age. I think it was between day 8-10. I removed them from the incubator around day 16 and opened them all. All the baby chicks were about the same size. (1" or so) I wonder what caused them to die? Maybe a temp spike or the humidity was too high. I just found it strange that 6 died at the same age. Thanks for any advice!! [​IMG]

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Hi there,
    I think a temperature issue would be the most likely culprit. Humidity caused deaths occur during the actual hatch such as drowned chicks.
    The other possibility could be genetic or a bacterial infection that affected only those eggs.

Best of luck on your hatch [​IMG]
    Carolyn

3. momsflock

momsflock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Just did my first hatch and the only advice I can give is LEAVE THE BATOR ALONE...and be patient [​IMG] Praying for much success!

4. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:Some of the eggs were porus and that can cause bacterial infections right? Maybe that's what happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by