My first lockdown- UPDATE!!!!!- Pictures added

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Countrywife, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    So, I locked them down tonight- my first batch. Now is it time to start biting my nails?????

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

[​IMG] Yup! Nail bitin' time! You're on IBW = Intensive Bator Watch, as Speckledhen says!
    Have fun! Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  3. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

well, just hope everything's will be okay, and remember one really important word in this step, patience. [​IMG]

4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i know this is your first hatch. but here are some things you will need. flashlight for seeing inside. extra batts. pain meds for lower back pain from leaning over the bator. after the first pip, take a long walk, you will need it for the long upcoming sit at the bator. and most off all dont open it, let the babys hatch. trust me i didnt listen on my very first hatch and i killed half of them. just thought i would send some humor. all hatches are the same very long and very addicting. one you start you cant stop. i went 8 months straight before i stopped the first time. wish you luck on you your hatch..............

5. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] I always think 18 thru pip is the longest..Good luck on your first hatch [​IMG] Keep us posted

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Good luck. The last 3 days are the longest. Keep yourself busy.

7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Good luck! You'll need a good local support group to pull you away if they see you reach for the bator lid.

8. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    I HAVE A BABY!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

Went to bed last night, no pipping, no zipping, no chirping, got up this morning, had one that had pieces of the shell everywhere, went out to feed the other animals, came back in, had a baby wobbling around the bator. Spent a few minutes seriously considering whether giving birth to my first chick was a valid call in sick excuse. But I had to come to work. Left DH in charge of watching the temp/humidity, he doesn't leave for work till 2, kids will be home at 4:30. Everytime I lean over and talk to the baby it starts looking for me and wobbling around.

I told the redneck Georgia boy I married- its official, I am now completely corrupted and they will never allow me to go back home.(I was born and raised in Baltimore City).

I have a baby!!!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (not quite as good as the grandson in July, but almost)

9. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    yea. as you will find out incubating and hatching is very addicting, and the only cure is more eggs in the bator. .l.o.l. wish you good luck with the rest of your hatch. yea fuzz butts everywhere.[​IMG][​IMG]

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Congrats! And hopefully many more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by