My first loss: a hawk got my precious silkie, and I'm beside myself

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MySuburbanLife, Jan 15, 2013.

1. MySuburbanLife

MySuburbanLife Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    Suburban Seattle
    I let my girls free range in my suburban fully fenced backyard from time to time, because it is such a joy watching them graze and chase bugs and prance around like happy, happy chickies. I let them out this afternoon and went inside to finish up a sewing project, and an hour later I heard a huge commotion... I rushed out and where usually the girls hear the backdoor opening and come rushing towards me hoping for treats, but no one came. They were all hiding in the shrubs along the fenceline, which is highly unusual. Then I saw a hawk take off with my black silkie. I must have startled the hawk, because it dropped the silkie and flew off. The silkie was flopping in place but I was so frozen with fear that I couldn't go near her to see what the extent of the damage was. :( After about 30 seconds, she stopped moving. I gathered up the rest of the flock and put them back in their enclosure and went to see the silkie... her neck and crop were opened to the bone.

I covered her with a Rubbermaid bin to keep the hawk from coming back for her, and I plan on burying her this evening. I have her last egg, laid this morning, on my counter. I loved her. Her name was Ginny, and she was so sweet and beautiful and a champion layer-- she laid 7 days in a row earlier this month! In January! I am so sad that I let this happen.

How can I preserve her last egg? Blow it out or something? Is that ridiculous of me?

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Thats sad to find that happening to you ! we all have dangerous predators. You can make a small hole on both end and blow the yolks out and hang it with a ribbon. I dont see whats wrong with that. everyone looses there favorite pet. Hopefully next time keep your next one under nets. so sorry for your loss...

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How sad. Yes you can preserve her last egg. Nothing wrong with that. Sorry for your loss.

4. Chickinn

Chickinn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2012
    So sorry for your loss. We have lost chickens to neighborhood dogs and it isn't easy.

5. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    you can take a feather of hers, her blown out egg, and a picture of her and make a shadow box in her memory.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by