1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My first Mandarin baby!!!! Success!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensioux, Jun 11, 2010.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]
    Little Mandie baby
    [​IMG]
    Mandie and 3 call babies

My mandie pair had not laid many eggs this year (their first spring). None of the eggs have hatched successfully til yesterday. It was 5 days beyond the hatch date, my friend (the old Rebel) and I decided to help it out of the egg. It had pipped and then nothing for 24 hrs. We slowly, throughout the day, helped it out. YAY!

2. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Absolutely Gorgeous!!! [​IMG] I have to stop looking at all the posts with Wood ducks and Mandarins, it is flat out dangerous! [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    What a little cutie...It is sometimes hard to know if helping them is the right thing to do - Looks like it sure was with this little one...

I had to help my first Runner this season too..And she is a month old and the sweetest thing...She loves to vocalize and quacks at the corner of the brooder for cuddles.

4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Aww congrats! Both my mandies needed help out and they are perfect now!

5. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Congrats Sue! I'm very happy for you. Hopefully some will hatch from my next batch.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  6. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:I'm pulling for you Scott!!! Hard little booger to do. [​IMG]

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    (Columbiacritter's hubby posting) Are Mandarins closely related to wood ducks?

Can they be crossed? And if so, are they "mules"?

Both are fantastically cool bird species. There was one Mandarin in the Stevenson Washington show and I was definitely wowed.

8. Scott

Scott Ozark Bantams

Apr 11, 2007
    Southeast Missouri
    Quote:They are closely related... the only two birds in the Aix genus. Hens are almost identical to the untrained eye. Both northern wood ducks, but they can't produce offspring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by