My First Meat project...Is in the Tractor! w/pics

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SmokinChick, Mar 26, 2012.

1. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    has begun!
    Got the text from McMurray H. yesterday 5:15 AM. Got the call from the post office this morning @ 7:00. Knocked on the door and the lady handed us a box of peeping chicks. Dipped the beaks in Sav-A-Chick and checked health. All good, one has its yolk sac attached. That one is sleepy, alot. I'll try to soak and tug it off later. Everyone is eating and sleeping. I have 26 Cornish X, 2 Austrolop, 2 SLW, 2 Buff O. and 2 EE's. in the brooder.
    Now to start the tractor build.
    Thanks to all that have gone before me and posted.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Fun, isn't it? Enjoy!

3. SmokinChick

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Lost the one with the yolk sac issue. Just got weaker and weaker. McMurray gave me an extra one. Doesn't make it better but my numbers are good.
    Its been 60-70 for two weeks. Now its 38 with wind. The garage is 60. Heat lights are working great and the chicks are running around under them.
    Plucker parts getting here tomorrow!

4. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
    You're building your own plucker? Take pics as you do please.

5. SmokinChick

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    Well, we are [email protected] 2 weeks. All is well.
    [​IMG]

Took 6 of them to the scales. They came in between 14.1oz & 1lb 2 oz. that appears to be right on track, according to the Welp chart.
    Although it states that they should have eaten a pound each to date. But mine have eaten 2 pounds. If I'm reading the chart correctly? I wouldn't think feeding 18% would result in them eating twice as much?

PS Sorry Hydro, didn't take pics of the build. But she is up and awaiting the day. I could have built it without the book, but. It does have good info in it and well worth the money. Good luck, if you have ??'s PM me.

6. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
    The 18% could have something to do with it. I started mine off with 20% for the first two weeks and it was right on target. From week 2-4 I bumped it to 22%. At week 4 I bumped it to 24% and at week 6 I am going to 28%.

7. SmokinChick

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    They are @ 4 weeks old and the garage is covered in dust. Time to go. Put all 28 on the scales. High of 3lb 6oz to 2lb 5oz. All are roos. Its been warm and dry so the tractor is done and they are calling for 2" of rain and low 40's. they survived last night at high 40s and windy. I added an extra tarp for today. they are eating over 1/4 lb of 18% mash each. I tried to ferment their feed for a couple of days but couldn't keep up with thier consumption. Pigs ate the trough dry by 3 in the afternoon. I couldn't stay organized with the soak schedule to dedicate the effort. Maybe next time.
    [​IMG]
    Blue tarps will shelter half of the tractor
    [​IMG]
    Got the wheel idea from the whizbang yahoo group. Works great.
    [​IMG]
    Fat and happy in the sun.
    [​IMG]
    Happy with the nipples. Hooked up to 2 five gallon buckets. Just in case.

8. SmokinChick

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    This is what the 8 layers we got at the same time as the meaties do when they get the brooder to themselves!
    FINALLY HAVE SOME PEACE AND QUIET!
    [​IMG]

9. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    That is one nifty chicken tractor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by