My first peeps hatched in my coop! PICS!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happymorrows, Dec 22, 2010.

1. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    My 9 month old BO went broody on me, so I decided to let nature take it's course and left four eggs under her. When I candled them at a week only three were progressing (the fourth wasn't fertilized or something). All three hatched!! The rooster was a Dominique roo that I just traded for an EE roo right around the time she went broody. So they are all Dominique crosses. It was so exciting to go out to the coop and find them! I check under her every day for eggs the other chickens have laid, and when I went yesterday their were 2 under her. The third egg hadn't hatched yet, and it was a blue egg so I really was hoping it would. I needed to move them though because my nest boxes are about 18in off the ground and I was worried one would fall out and not be able to get back under her (fingers crossed) mother. So I waited till dark and went back out to put them in a little dog carrier in the coop. Low and behold when I went to move them the third egg had hatched! I was so excited because I was very nervous about moving an egg so close to hatching time. Mother and chickies settled in well to their new more private accommodations. I hope that they do well. I live in NC but it has been pretty cold (for us) so far this winter. I have a heat lamp on the box, and it is HOT under that mama too.

Me holding the first three chickies of my flock's second generation.
    [​IMG]

The Barred and the EE crosses snuggled up with mama.
    [​IMG]

This is the EE cross, looks a lot like the Barred, but beak and legs have dark on them. I am really excited to see how this one feathers out.
    [​IMG]

BO cross. Mostly yellow with some black on head and back. Also interested to see how she feathers out.
    [​IMG]

I am assuming the Barred/Dominique will just look like the other Barreds other than her comb might be different.

2. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    Very Cute !!!

My BO (7 months old) did the same thing, we got the 1st chick this morning [​IMG]

3. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    They are sooo cute. [​IMG] I'm waiting on mine....and waiting....and waiting....but I finally got a pip this morning. So we are on the way.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    congrats

6. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    :jumpyVery cute! Congrats!

7. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Awe [​IMG] Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by