my first peeps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mklmrphy956, Mar 12, 2011.

1. mklmrphy956

mklmrphy956 New Egg

Jan 29, 2011
    i just got my 3 first chicks today 2 cinnamon queens and a buff. they are so cute to watch. hope they make it through the night have a 250 watt flood light in the coop im checking on them through the window and seem ok so far. can anyone tell me me should i use a heat lamp or the flood lamp which is best?
    [​IMG]

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I would use a heat lamp about 18 inches high. Secure it to something that will not fail and let the lamp down. Make sure they have plenty of food and water! They are a blast!

Nate

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Sounds like sound advice from Nate! [​IMG] Congrats on the new babies! Enjoy!!! [​IMG]

4. mklmrphy956

mklmrphy956 New Egg

Jan 29, 2011
    thx i have one just wasnt sure which was the best to use appreciate the help:)

5. clickncluck

clickncluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    Congratulations on your new babies. Mine are only 4 days old. I got them chick grit today and then tried to feed them a tomato---not impressed, some lettuce---not impressed, a hard boiled egg---so so. Guess they are just babies and only want the crumbles for now. Boy are they growing fast. Here they are beak to beak.
    [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:What A CUTE photo!!!!!

My chicks seldom liked anything different at first. Especially the Killer Peas, which must have somehow threatened to murder them all painfully.

7. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Congratulations!! I always use a red heat lamp. Start out at 95 degrees and reduce by 5 degrees each week...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by