My first pet chickens, a few questions

pusher317

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 8, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm new to keeping chickens and I have a few questions. I bought a pair of 12 week old black australorps last week and I'm curious how much I should socialize with them. They have been holed up in their house since I got them (4 days ago) and they haven't been adventurous enough to come out in the run on their own. I've picked them up and set them outside a few times to pet them and spend time with them in the run. My 3 year old daughter also likes to pet them. One is pretty docile, the other is kind of skittish. They only hang out for a short time before they hop back up in the house. Is it okay to keep doing this or should we leave them alone? Are we getting them used to us or just scaring them? Any idea how long until they will be comfortable to come out on their own? We very much want to have friendly happy birds.

I would try and encourage them to come out. I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing. I take my chicks out on their own. Sometimes they just need a little of encouragement!

I am also a new BYC owner. My chickens were already 4-5 months old when I got them back in August and I kept them in the coop/run for two weeks and then just opened the door. They slowly have gotten more adventurous since then and have almost explored the whole backyard! I started by picking weeds and they would run up to me, grab it and run. Now they come right up to me and let me pet them. I definitly think each have they're own personality but 3 of the 4 are laying now and I try and let them free range every evening. It took a little time but they all let me pet them now. The love getting petted under the wings and when I shake they're little butts!

The more you handle them the more used to you they will become. I also see nothing wrong in what you are doing. I would also introduce them to treats. My chickens will coming running up to me when they see me because they know they will get treats. They also eat out of my hand. It took some longer than others to trust me enough to eat out of my hand. I am now working on petting them- with one hand I hold out the treats and the other hand stroke them. It just takes some time and patience.
wink.png

Food is a good helper lol We have a bit of unusual situation where our run is not attached to the coop so we have to carry the girls twice each day, needless to say they are pretty tame.. but still food is a good piece of leverage to get them to view you as something good
wink.png

I'm able to go in my coop to gather eggs check the waterer and the feeder, and some cleaning of the boxes, etc.. So at dark when they're all in the coop on their roost getting ready for sleep, talking about their day. I go in and can pet any of them at that time, they're so calm then. This has helped when it comes time to catch just one out in the yard, they'll just let me walk right up to them and pick them up with one hand. And thats real nice! Don't be afraid just pet them scratch their necks have fun with them they'll love it and you in return. Enjoy

D.gif
After months of feeding them scratch. I have learned that some in an old coffee can rattled, acts just like magic. They all stop what they are doing and run to me. Its the food for sure but it works like a whistle on a dog. I needed a way to gather them all together in one spot, and this is working just great for me. Give it a try, soon it could be just some peddles in a can. It's just conditioning. But a good way of calling your back yard flock.

Back
Top Bottom