My first pip!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tattooedchickenlady, Oct 24, 2008.

1. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    Last week I had a broody sitting on some eggs, and she broke one. So, I took the remaining egg from her and bought an incubator. We weren't sure what day we were on exactly, but I was hoping for the best........I candled last night and could only see a very dark something filling up the egg........
    I was gone all day today and came home to find a pip!!! I'm so excited, but nervous at the same time. I just hope it didn't drown........it was on the side, and I moved it from the small bowl I had it in and put it into an egg carton. I hope all goes well tonight. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    I will say a prayer for your little pip [​IMG]

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Likewise, prayers heading your way that your pip will soon become a little peep!

4. tattooedchickenlady

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    thanks guys, I'm so nervous.......I have had a terrible week with my chickens, and now, I will have my Very own baby.....
    I so hope it makes it, out of 5 eggs it's the only one to make it this far.

Us moving it around like we did won't hurt it will it? I will feel terrible if it does.

5. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Good luck, I know the feeling. I didn't know my chickens were laying yet, then I went to clean the coop and found 10 eggs. Wasn't sure they were fertile, but do have 3 roosters. Not wanting to throw them out me and my 2 children got online and found this site. We made a incubator out of a old cooler and a old heating pad. The temp wouldn't go high enough and I knew we needed humidity so I filled a popouri pot (the kind you put liquid popouri in and plug up) in the cooler and drilled holes in the top and bottom til the temp was 100. we made a rack out of wood and screen and hooked it half way up the cooler. Its not pretty and didn't really think it would work, but I just checked it and I have 3 eggs with pip holes, and you can hear them in there like they are talking. These are my first baby chickens. I will pray for yours, please pray for my new babies.

6. tattooedchickenlady

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    Absolutely willow, I hope your babies are vigorous and strong!

I just went to check on the egg, and it looks like it has died. I see no movement, I candled and no movement.......last night before we went to bed we checked in on it and it was alive, but not moving much, I figured that it was just resting.
    I don't know what my humidity is, the membrane seemed dry. I was going to get a hygrometer, but money was tight this week, so I waited....

I'm so sad, I was so excited and now,what a let down. I'll probably wait till spring to try again.

7. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    So sorry, mine have done good so far, I have 5 out, and 3 still trying. 1 didn't make it, and 1 egg doing nothing. Still 5 out and running around is better then I thought I would get, so I am very very excited. 3 are black and 3 are yellow. Will post picture after they are done.

8. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:How cool is that? Quick and great thinking Mama! I'll be praying for both of your hatches! [​IMG]

9. tattooedchickenlady

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    thanks guys, my little boy (I think) didn't make it. I'll try to post pictures, but it looked like the yolk wasn't absorbed, but it was blackish colored, is that normal?

Anyway, lesson learned, get hygrometer, put eggs in bator from the first, and try again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by