1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first post- my first coop/run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by randadell, Jan 21, 2013.

1. randadell

randadell Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana
    Im picking up my hens on wednesday. We are hanging nesting boxes and finishing them up this evening, they won't be the crates in the picture. The water will hang in a corner near the front and the food will hang dead center. Please don't be too harsh, as we ran out of time due to have 20 straight days of rain recently.But, Id like a little feedback. Everyone tells me that chickens aren't picky, I sure hope not. Their area isn't what I had originally planned. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i used something very similar when i raised a couple meat birds. Heck the even slept in a doghouse. 1 thing though make sure to i'd make sure to stake down the pen with some good stakes and rope. Mine was set up like yours and a good strong wind can tip it over.

3. randadell

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana
    Thanks! I will do that, especially once hurricane season approaches :)

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    You'll learn alot on here. And you'll see more views on chicken raising then you ever thought were possible.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks good for keeping the chickens 'in'...but....what predators do you have in your area?
    Looks like anything other than a non-climbing dog will be able to get in there.

6. randadell

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana
    Dogs, hawks are probably the main ones. We get snakes in the summer, but I haven't seen one on our property in over 2 years. The top is completely closed in with a double layer of shade cloth, the sides have a layer of poultry net between the chain link and the tarp. The tarp is a heavy duty tarp the we acquired during Katrina. The tarp is fastened top and bottom of the cage.
    My German Shephard has her own yard directly behind my house, and my brother has a Pit Bull in his yard.(We are neighbors and co own the coop) Between the two of them they have chased off any other dogs that have wandered into our yard, along with the snakes and squirrels.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds good, the dogs should help for sure. Coons, possums, weasels could get in there unless the dogs get them first. Are the dogs out all night?

8. randadell

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana
    my dog does stay out all night. And she barks at everything, she loves people but really doesn't like other animals. We put the chickens on the other side of the yard with a storage building blocking the dogs view of them. I don't believe we have weasels here. And I haven't seen a coon or possum since we have had the dog outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by