My first Post

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by danniieeb, Feb 16, 2015.

1. danniieeb

danniieeb New Egg

Feb 7, 2015
    Around the late seventies I purchased my first acreage just outside Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Just an acre but for me Wow
    Their was an old wooden house made of iron bark, you could not bang a nail in this wood you had to drill.
    At the bottom of the block was a small dam that was overgrown but the water was clean and some wild ducks lived their.
    My first need was to have a new 2 car garage built, to replace the ramshackle wooden one that was decaying while you watched it.
    Part of the garage would be my workshop.
    One Sunday I started to dismantle it and was taking all of the wood down by the side of the dam (really out of sight) and my trip down to the dam
    would have me running over a large piece of roofing materiel slowly rusting under a large gum tree.
    We found a nest of pink baby rats in the garage so my late wife suggested we give them to the ducks, I laughed but we took them to the dam.
    I was amazed by the ducks who started to fight each other for the rats.
    After lunch we continued our work only for me getting more concerned about the rusty tin, my wife who was raised in the country suggested we lift it up.
    I dutifully agreed and was just about to put my hands under and lift when she "no, not like that, with a stick" imagine this city boys face when lifting gently
    to reveal a large Death Adder under, down came the metal and I was on the patio in record time.
    The next day all the ducks were outside the house quacking with my better half feeding them and I suppose it was then I began to fall in love with all kinds
    of birds.
    that was nearly fourty years ago and I had my fair share of different snakes on other properties but that's the one I remember well
    Now I live in the Philippines and still have snakes the most common on our block is The Philippine Cobra so even though we have no chickens here yet we have placed a large sign
    "Beware of the Snake"
    I am sure that many members have similar experiences, would love to hear about them.

A city boy with lots of snake experiences

danniieeboy

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] We have a very large black snake who lives under our house. I was not aware of this until the cable guy came to install cable. He went under the house and came out in record time.

"You have a snake under there!" he declared.

I replied, "Yeah, that's Louise. She keeps the rats out."

"I'm not going back there until that snake is gone!" he shouted.

So this fat old lady crawls under the house, drops the snake in a feed bag, and crawls back out. I show him the rather rotund black snake. "Looks like she digesting a large meal."

Satisfied but wary, the cable guy goes back under the house.

I peered in after him and holler out, "Let me know if you see the last cable guy. He came last week and I haven't seen him since."

He went in reverse and backed out so fast I nearly dropped Louise who was now draped along my arm. Eyes bugging, he ran for his van. Haven't seen him again either.

I eventually got cable installed. ONLY after the house was inspected and declared snake free by a licensed professional.

True story.

Don't worry. Louise was placed back under the house where she resides quietly and enjoys her meals in peace.

4 people like this.
  3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I love it. Sounds like something I would have done.

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome![​IMG] I'm glad you joined the BYC flock.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Good luck with all of your bird (and snake) adventures! [​IMG]

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck with your birds and snake! I used to have a snake.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Did they ever come back to fix your cable? I wouldn't have -[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by