My first Quail chicks!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by aspenangler, Nov 20, 2013.

1. aspenangler

aspenangler New Egg

Sep 27, 2013
    West Virginia
    Hello fellow BYC'ers!!!! Let me just start by saying how wonderful this site is and how helpful the members are. I first stumbled onto this site while looking for chicken coop plans last winter, and since that time I have gained a wealth of information.

I'm not sure how I ended up looking at the Quail thread, but somehow I did and today my first little bunch of coturnix quail started to hatch. I decided that I wanted to try my hand at incubating some eggs in a homemade incubator so the research started. I ended up finding (by accident) a very small styrofoam box at a doctors office that they had received refrigerated medicines in. It was headed to the trash so the price was right [​IMG]. I then decided to purchase the IncuKit thermostat, heater, fan combo because it had everything needed in one small unit. I built a very small egg turner (7"x 9" lol) that sits on top of a wooden frame.

[​IMG]

I ordered some eggs off of ebay and today (day 17) the little buggers have started to hatch! What I learned was that my little 1ft square incubator is to darn small! I have a larger foam cooler and have started building a new incubator because this hobby is just to darn addictive!!

[​IMG]

2. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Well, welcome to the Quail forum BYC. I know how you found the quail forum... "it just called out to you and completely took over your every waking moment"... well, at least, that's the answer I use.

Here is some info for you, because those quail will quickly outgrow that little tank: When starting day-old chicks, allow about 1 square foot of floor space for every 10 chicks through the first 2 weeks. During the 4-6 week period the birds need at least .25 square foot per bird and at 6-12 weeks of age the birds need at least .75 square foot per bird. This info was for Bobwhites, but should be sufficient for coturnix.

Also, another thing to help you out; your temperature in the brooder is over 100. This link should help you.
    Good luck with your quail adventure.
    James

3. aspenangler

aspenangler New Egg

Sep 27, 2013
    West Virginia
    Thanks James! They are currently in a 121 QT tote which was the largest one that I could find for the time being. When they get older I have made 2 wire cages that are 2' x 5' and 16" tall. I noticed that the heat increased from a small ray of light shining through the window. It has since been moved to a back wall away from the sun sneaking in [​IMG].

[​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Great babies! James, you beat me to it....I too saw the brooder temp over 100. Also...take that lid off. Use wire or a screen as the lid will prevent heat exchange and oxygen to circulate. It can also cause over heating.

Good luck with your new babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by