My first quail egg!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 3goodeggs, Jun 12, 2011.

1. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    yippie!
    My husband said that we had a situation with the quail. I was thinking I didn't latch the cage and I had quail all over the back porch.
    he just kept pointing in the cage. I thought he needed more coffee because there wasn't anything thing there. I had a difficult time seeing it a first. Very well camouflaged.
    Now I have to read everything on here about quail. ...because we want more.
    [​IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    [​IMG]

3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    sounds awesome, i'm still waiting on my first egg, my quail are coming on 6 weeks of age

4. FIRST egg is always memorable. I am likewise waiting on my 12 quail to lay their first egg. I always have had to purchas them, now they be even better that we have our own quail. Mine are about 6 weeks old. Sooo the wait is on.

5. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Awwe what type of quail?? My buttons are 10 weeks old and at about 8 weeks they laid their first 3, we are up to 10 now.

6. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I have the coturnix. I am really enjoying them. Quail number two started to lay day before yesterday. She lays a mottled blue egg. I was very surprised at the difference in egg color.
    I love these quail. They are delightful. [​IMG]

when do they get serious about hatching their eggs? right now they deposit them around the cage like any old quail dropping. I figure they are young and don't have any family urges yet.
    so we are picking them up and saving them for some super small deviled eggs. I have a dozen now.
    I need a small egg carton too. [​IMG]

7. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    coturnix don't really get broody, if you want chicks you'll have to do it yourself

8. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    oh, that is very good to know! Thanks for telling me. I see an incubator in my future. not near future... but eventually.
    How long do they lay? do I have a couple years, or do they dry up quickly? I can always buy more chicks if I miss the window.
    I read all of the quail stickies, but I must have missed some bits.
    thanks! [​IMG]

9. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Wow first egg in 1 day? When my button hen laid for the first time she squatted and did 3 in 5min. [​IMG] She seems so far to be an egg machine!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by