1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first Quail Hatch!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Joaov87, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Joaov87

Joaov87 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2014
    So i've been lurking on BYC for awhile now and I would like to say thanks to everybody for sharing their experiences and maybe I'll curse you guys later because I am getting my first quail eggs on Monday and am going to start the countdown on tuesday. I built an incubator. So i was just writting to maybe share my experiences and maybe see if any problem arises you guys can help.

I believe I may have gotten addicted just by reading threads because I am already starting plans on a cabinet incubator much like the ones on BYC for future egg hatches. So wish me luck and thanks everybody for the "quail bug"

2. QuailGuy88

QuailGuy88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    Clinton twp, Michigan
    [​IMG] Haha, that what this site does to you...it gets you addicted!! ;) I got addicted to chickens after looking around on this site, I used to have quails (hence my name) but I decided to switch to chickens.
    Good luck on your first hatch and welcome to BYC!

3. Joaov87

Mar 9, 2014
    Thank you! I would like to raise some chickens too but where I live right now it's not viable and I always wanted to raise quail. I've been raising homing pigeons with my dad since I was 5. I just really like all birds so this site just feeds the addiction

4. HereInOz

HereInOz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Joplin, Missouri
    [​IMG] It was a "hatching bug" that bit me while lurking on this site a couple of years back. [​IMG] Started off with A&M white coturnix quail...then hatched 3 batches of Orpington chickens...still hatching quail, only now I'm raising the Jumbo Brown coturnix. Good luck with your hatch and welcome to BYC!

5. Joaov87

Mar 9, 2014
    Thank you!

6. Joaov87

Mar 9, 2014
    Just got my eggs... now waiting until later to put them in the bator... Why am I so nervous?? LOL... If its meant to be, its meant to be... lol

7. HereInOz

HereInOz Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Joplin, Missouri
    I think that's part of what makes this soooo addicting! Even after hatching for a couple of years, I still get nervous with each batch. Just wait till "lockdown"...it gets very hard to sleep knowing they could hatch at any time![​IMG]

8. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I have quail hatching today. Ducks in 2 weeks, Turkeys are being set tomorrow. Being addicted is an understatement. lol

9. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Joaov,
    Welcome to the Quail Forum on BYC. If you do curse us, don't do it here as it will cause you to receive an infraction.

One thing I would like to point out to you (and if you've been lurking for a while, you may already know) that there is a great advanced search feature near the top of the page (next to the regular search). With the regular search, its a wide seach, and will give you info on everything from chickens to parakeets, but on the Advanced search, you can narrow your seach to specific members / topics / or forums. One thing I have learned while I was lurking was that if I had a question about something specific, 9 chances out of 10, somebody else has also asked the same thing and another member answered it. Just as an example, I went to the regular seach and typed in, "what do I do now" and had 800,000+ possible answers, then went to the advanced seach and typed in the same question but clicked on quail forum, and received 12,000+ possible answers, so it narrowed it down and I didn't have to go through all the other posts to find the answer to "what do I do now".
    I hope this helps you
    James

10. Joaov87

Mar 9, 2014
    Thanks so much everybody for the comments and words of encouragement...

As if the nerves werent enough I now had the luck of a power outage in my part of town.. I quickly rushed my bator to a family member's house but I dont know. This really sucks...

Note to self, next homemade incubator must feature a solar panel or at least a backup battery

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by