1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pullet2hen, May 7, 2008.

1. pullet2hen

pullet2hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    Hello all you wonderful people. I have been lurking for a while! I have 4 beautiful 8 week old chickens. (first timer) My Question....Do pullets raise the neck feathers and jump in the air to kick or do I have 4 roosters? Oh and thank you all for everything I have learned from you. Couldn't have done it with out you! [​IMG]

2. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    first of all [​IMG] at 8 weeks you can probably tell if they are roos or pullets. post some pics if you can.

3. pullet2hen

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    Tiny my DD favorite
    [​IMG]
    Waffles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    from what i can see you have 2 pullets and 1 rooster the rooster is tiny [​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Quote:Mine do [​IMG]

6. pullet2hen

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    Thank you! They all 4 jump up at each other and kick with neck feathers fluffed... Could this be trying to claim pecking order?

7. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    the roosters do that but usually they stare at each other, like they are getting ready to pounce.... and bob their heads up and down, then try to get each other! all with the neck feathers ruffled up.. they do it a little different than hens. probably for longer periods.. the older they get the more serious the get with this rooster fighting stuff!!

8. pullet2hen

May 7, 2008
    Arizona
    I just told my DH on what you all said and I asked for Tiny to have his own condo or we will have fertile eggs and of course he said.... no we will have one happy rooster! LOL!!

9. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    When mine do it it seems like this is the storyline.....

Roxie is minding her own business, pecking at crumbs, doing what chickens do....when all of a sudden... out of nowhere, she catches a glimpse of something...

Spins around! Feathers up, wings out... she confronts her stalker!

Flap, flap, flap...a run and a jump!

Charli caught by surprise, spins around and... flap, flap, flap!!!

Then Roxie haults suddenly, realizing that she knows this tall dark stranger.... it's her roommate Charli

"oh, hi Charli [​IMG] Funny seeing you here."

"how is that Roxie.... we always hang in the same area."

"hmmm...ok then....back to what I was doing...."

5 mins later...................................

Roxie is minding her own business, pecking at crumbs, doing what chickens do....when all of a sudden... out of nowhere, she catches a glimpse of something.................

You get the idea [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]

picture of my broody hen taking a break from the nest. The eggs are not fertile, so they will never hatch, gotta find some fertile eggs for her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by