My first quilt- *COMPLETED* PICS

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by dixie&trixie, Dec 11, 2011.

1. dixie&trixie

dixie&trixie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    I began this quilt September 26 of this year thinking it was a simple first quilt. It turned out to be more than I thought it would be. It took a long time to make and was alot of measuring, cutting and piecing. Im so proud of myself for completeing it. I learned so much about quilting and can now appreciate what all goes into making a quilt. Below is the picture of my quilt

[​IMG]

2. TooterBelle

TooterBelle Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    Beautiful quilt, you've done a great job! [​IMG] What's next on your project list?[​IMG]
    TooterBelle

3. dixie&trixie

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    I already finished the top to my second quilt. Its at the quilt shop getting machine quilted. The second one was super easy compared to the first.

4. TooterBelle

Dec 11, 2011
    Sooo, you're addicted too!? What pattern is your second quilt? Please post a picture of it when you get it back, your first quilt is just lovely and we only improve with every one we do.
    TooterBelle

5. dixie&trixie

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    Yes, ive caught the quilting bug. I want to make pillowcases and a bed skirt to match the first quilt so my daughter can have a set but I dont have any idea where to get patterns. Any suggestions?

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I like that pattern and you picked lovely colors. Great job!!

7. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Your color pallet is right up my alley! Beautiful work!

8. dixie&trixie

May 26, 2010
    Yreka California
    Thanks so much. Im so proud of it

9. TooterBelle

Dec 11, 2011
    I have a pattern for a nice pillowcase, I got it from a lady in my quilting group. I'll dig it out and see if I can post it for you. As far as a dust ruffle, I've never seen a pattern. The ones that I've made, I decided how long a drop I wanted. Then I measured the length and width and either doubled or tripled it for the fullness. Use a ruffler foot, it makes it a lot easier than trying to gather it by hand. When you get it ruffled the way you want it, sew it to an inexpensive fitted sheet...it is a lot easier than trying to make the panel and get it to lay right. (After making one, you might decide that you would rather buy them instead, they aren't that hard to make but they take a lot of fabric and can get rather expensive.)
    I'll be back on in a couple of days and hopefully I will be able to post the pillow case pattern for you.
    TooterBelle

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

dixie&trixie :

I began this quilt September 26 of this year thinking it was a simple first quilt. It turned out to be more than I thought it would be. It took a long time to make and was alot of measuring, cutting and piecing. Im so proud of myself for completeing it. I learned so much about quilting and can now appreciate what all goes into making a quilt. Below is the picture of my quilt

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/58739_completed_quilt.jpg

It's a tremendous first effort! My first quilt wasn't nearly as impressive! Kudos! Did you know how to sew before this? I didn't even sew before my first quilt. In fact, I never think of quilting as sewing. To me, quilting is art, not sewing.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by