My first quilt

basicliving

Keepin' the sunny side up
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Just wanted to share the first quilt I ever made - for my husband, out of a few favorite Harley Tshirts he's collected over the years. Don't look too closely.... I made several mistakes. But I finally made him the lap quilt he's been wanting!

quilt.jpg

I didn't have a pattern. Wish I had though. The binding for the edges isn't great - I wanted to "bevel" the corners, but had no idea how to do that.

Thanks for looking.

Penny

Quote:
It was a little tricky...... And the hands weren't easy either!
wink.png

WriterofWords - If I can do it, anyone can! This one was easy with regards to quilting. The most challenging part of it was cutting everything exactly right - which I didn't do. And then sewing - which I really stink at. But other than that, it was a piece of cake
gig.gif

Seriously - you can do it!!! I plan to make a "real" quilt for my mother. I figure mom's can overlook all the little mistakes.....

Penny

It's GREAT!!!

Quilts should never be perfect! Enjoy the little flaws that you might see, "This one was the time I was distracted by my baby crying, That one was the time my daughter was so excited by the snow, or the new puppy, thta other one was when my husband nuzzled me at just the wrong moment!!!" (or whatever!!!)

The Amish even make sure there's some extra flaw here or there so that they can't even be mistaken as trying to get it too 'perfect'. Only God's creations are ever perfect after all!

Besides, a treasured gift will likely never be examined for flaws, only for the love you put into it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, like I said, don't look to closely! I actually used fusable interfacing on the tshirts to make them easier to cut and work with. My problem is that I can't sew worth a dime. But I stuck with it and got it done - even if I did have to rip seams a few times
roll.png

Thanks for all the kind words.

Penny

Quote:
That is so sweet! Thank you, PortageGirl. When I gave it to my husband, I apologized for all the mistakes. But his face was all smiles and he said "It's perfect!".

It's not perfect - but it was made with a lot of love. He's really tickled with it - in fact he's wrapped in it now watching TV, with a cat sleeping in his lap!

Penny

I have not ever made one quilt that didn't have any imperfections in it.

I personally think you did a wonderful job. If anybody says any different, you can
smack.gif
them for me.
smile.png

Now you need to join the BYC Quilt Club......Yes, you have to.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom