My first real attempt at incubating from whoa to go!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, May 15, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    I have just picked up 42 eggs from a friend for my first attempt incubating using my Hovabator I bought a little while ago. Of the 42 I managed to crack one moving it so thought I would open it right up just to make sure they are fertile - and it sure was! So the bator is now sitting on the dining room table (right next to the computer [​IMG] ) and my hubby doesn't even mind it being there! I think he was a little spooked at the possibility of 41 baby chicks but being my first attempt I told him chances are only half will make it, or worse if something goes horribly wrong then only a few or even non will hatch, and he was a little relieved. God help me now if all 41 do hatch! I'm going to need a bigger brooder! I'm not even really sure what breed the chicks will be, brown eggs I'm guessing maybe Isa Browns (very popular around here) but it will be a nice surprise.
    So everyone please wish me luck. I'm going to be watching the temp like a hawk and I already feel tortured waiting for day 10 so I can candle. I'm so excited!!!

2. chicksntexas

chicksntexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Magnolia, TX
    Congratulations! I'm on day 14 of my first hatch! I'm so excited I can't even see straight! lol! I started with 7 and have 30 more eggs coming next week! My DH thinks I've lost my mind! lol! Good Luck! It's really exciting isn't it? [​IMG]

3. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Congrats, I'm on my frist hatch as well, & yes, this is a lil' nerve wrackin' fer the beginner...[​IMG] I've got a dozen eggs & if I get 50% hatch rate, I'll be a happy camper...I know they're fertile, as my roo is a horny one...Should this hatch go as planned, I'll get rid of my roo & get me a pure Australorp roo, for my Aus hen, she's a darn trusty egg layer...

4. brimstone555

brimstone555 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Victoria, AUSTRALIA Yippee there is Life downunder! Including Me TOO! [​IMG] ..After some days turned into weeks turned into over a month!! I built my homemade incubator and "Finally" setting 41 Japanese Quail eggs in about 1 hour from now!! [​IMG] My bator is about 4 metres from computer! [​IMG] if I get just one little chick I'll be HaPpY~ So GOOD LUCK with Your Hatch, Wish you get 42 [​IMG] I tell you though I'm stressed to the Max already! haha... I was thinking of candling too, but I'm not going to bother...just wait and see on day 16! [​IMG] cya...

5. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Thanks everyone - Hahaha yes there is life here and hopefully in 21 days there will be even more life! I love us first time hatchers attitudes, we will be happy if we even get one chick but we are all hoping for at least 50%. Good luck to everyone else with their hatches!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by