My first rooster? | Share your rooster!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gabrielle, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Hey everyone.

This summer I've decided to get some new chicks, I was thinking from a local store but being the person I am, I wanted more choice. I'll be ordering my chicks online again.

I'm still considering the chicks I want to add to my flock of 5 but I am also considering a rooster?

My question to you is:

The positives of having a rooster & is your rooster good, and why?

Thank so much!

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    A rooster can be a flock protector, referee for the flock, and, of course, if you ever want to hatch your own eggs the means to be able to do so without having to buy hatching eggs. I have a great rooster right now. Well, I don't know how much of a flock protector he is, but he does have a healthy respect for the humans that live here. When we come to the coop, or near them when they're out free ranging, he always moves a respectful distance away. For me, that's what makes him a good rooster. My rooster is a Brahma/EE cross. He's the one in my avatar. His father was my flock rooster for a few years until he became coyote food. That is one thing to consider. Some will tell you that a good rooster will protect the flock - I won't argue with that. But that does mean that he will likely sacrifice himself for his hens if they free range (or even if they don't) and the flock is attacked by a predator. You need to be prepared for that possibility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by