My first ROTTEN egg!! YUCK!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steffpeck, May 4, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I decided to candle my eggs tonight, I got 4 Favorelles & 10 Sizzle eggs from Jimnjay, and when I candled them a few days ago I noticed some air bubble looking things in one of the eggs, well tonight when I candled them, the one with the air bubbles no longer had air bubbles but was 1/2 filled with dark yuck. So I sat it on my counter to move on to the next and as soon as I sat it down, and moved my hand away it exploded!! Man those things STINK!!! Thank heavens it wasn't in my hand or in the bator!!!

The good news is though, I have 2 Favorelle & 9 Sizzle babies growing and looking awesome!! Today is day 10, only 11 more to go. Hopefully they will all make it to the end and out safe and sound.

I have to say that Jimnjay packages her eggs very, very well. My last hatch from 2 different people, I set 23 eggs and had 8 make it to day 18 and 5 hatch out, 3 died in the shell. I did candle them alot though, and these I have only candled 2x so maybe that makes a difference to, who knows?? I am very happy and pleased with her eggs!! Thanks Jimnjay!!

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    :eek:
    I fear rotten eggs!
    Just wondering, was it weeping?
    I am hoping that if I get a rotten egg it will give some kind of warning, like ticking or something. [​IMG]

3. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    I had one explode in the incubator before, it was weeping beforehand, but i had neevr read up on 'exploding eggs'. I just assumed the chicks were pushing stuff out! hahaha.

It was the worst thing ever, they're SOOO nasty!

4. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Ugh!
    Does that ruin the whole batch, or can some still hatch?

5. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    All of mine still hatched, i just hurried up and cleaned them as fast as i could with warm water. Then wrapped them in towels on a heating pad while i cleaned the bator.

I think it does cut down on hatching rates if you're not careful.

6. Hi!
    It's amazing how something so small can make such a big STINK.

Good luck with the rest.

I have a group of shipped duck and goose eggs (on Day 25 now) that have had quite a few go rotten.
    Verry unpleasant.

Lisa

7. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Nope it wasn't weeping or stinky or anything. It was just cloudy black inside. The first 2 times I candled it, it did have air bubble looking things inside of it, so I guess maybe that is the first clue. This is only my 2nd hatch, so this is new to me. It was so strange, because I had put it on my light, and could tell there was nothing growing in it, but didn't even really think about it being rotten. I sat it on my counter and as I moved my hand away, it sounded like a gunshot. It took me a few seconds to realize what it was, and then the stink started setting in and I realized what it was. Like I said, I am just really glad it wasn't in my hand or even worse in the bator!!

8. chickensista

chickensista Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    CT
    Please tell me there was some sign! I have welsummer eggs in the bator and am unable to candle them. Ack! That must have been so gross.
    Terry

9. steffpeck

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Honestly, there was no sign, other that seeing the cloudy, black 1/2 filled egg. I do think though that most people have weeping, or some sign before hand.

10. living2ride

living2ride Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    I had one explode when I went to candle it once. Right in my face. No warning smell, no weeping, nothing. PUKE!
    But with my current duck eggs, and I had one egg I thought was clear, but kept in just in case. One day I opened the bator to turn them and it just stunk! I smelled each egg as I turned them and they smelled okay, until I got to that clear one. Oh boy, it was OBVIOUS that it was the culprit. I tossed it out and everything went back to smelling normal again. Thank goodness I caught it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by