My first rotten egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emsevers, Jan 28, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    So I found my first rotten egg in the incubator yesterday. It didn't explode but it did crack and seep goo. When I tried to take it out of the incubator I found that it was stuck to the turner. So I enlisted my husband for help. We eventually broke the egg trying to get it out. Greenish brown goo went everywhere. [​IMG]

I would have to say that was one of the most disgusting smells ever. It was only on day 6. I thought it would take longer for that to happen if it was going to happen at all. So that was a really gross experience that I would rather not happen again.

So is there anyway to tell if an egg is rotting while candling. I thought that I smelled something a couple days ago but other than going through and smelling every egg is there a way to tell? Should I be worried about the rest of the eggs that came from the same person? Are they more prone to exploding?

2. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    Quote:I am not so sure about this but maybe the eggs you got were like 3 or so weeks old and that is why it was rotten at day 6 but that's just a guess.

3. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I candle at day 10. If there is no development, I remove the egg from the bator.

4. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    That is a smell you never forget. I always thought us chicken people could make a fortune at Halloween selling them.

Steve in NC

5. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I was wondering if they were really old. I've candled them and I can't see anything. To me it looks like they are all clear but I don't have a very powerful candler so I was going to wait a little longer and see if they develop. I will be so dissappointed if someone sent me bad eggs. I got them from someone on eggbid. I wasn't really sure of the quality or of the person I was getting them from. I guess I'll see how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by