1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first run of eggs this Sunday (February 19, 2012)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mazojoe, Feb 16, 2012.

1. mazojoe

mazojoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    So my eggs are coming from a local friend. I have a GQF 1502 incubator and this will be the first time I have ever incubated eggs. I have done as much reading as possible, but the one thing I keep missing:

on day 18 or lockdown, do I put the eggs in the lower level or the hatching level since the do not need to be rotated anymore? Also since they were orientated in a vertical position will it affect the chick laying it horizontal?

any other pointers you may have would be greatly appreciated!

thank you for your Help,

Joe

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    On day 18, do put them in the bottom level or hatching tray because you do not want chicks falling in the incubator. Laying the eggs horizontal is perfectly fine, though some people leave them vertical, pointy side down, in the cardboard flats. We just lay the eggs horizontal and they do fine.

3. mazojoe

mazojoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Arena, WI
    That was my feeling, but wanted to check in! Great forum and informational website! Thank you for your response.

4. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    You're welcome. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by