1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first scary, bloody, egg... - warning*gross pics- UPDATE 1/10

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karmical, Jan 6, 2008.

1. karmical

karmical Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    Hey out there [​IMG]

I know I've seen pics similar to what my girl just laid, but I still wanted someone else to have a look and tell me it'll be ok :|

This one was just laid by a pullet that's only laid a few eggs, and she started just about a week ago. I brought her inside to make sure there wasn't more bloody goo to come...the last photo is of her first poo after laying the gross egg.

I have to go to work for a couple of hours now (figures!:mad:) , so I'm going to keep her inside while I'm gone.

Any suggestions (can I put her back with the others?) or even just reassurance would be a HUGE help...being a "new mom" and all...I hate to admit I do worry about every little thing...

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Tracy, I have never seen anything like that in all my years of raising chickens. Since I can't help you, I am moving this to Emergencies just to make sure someone with experience with this sees it. I do hope everything is ok with your girl.

Jody

3. karmical

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    Oh boy...maybe I HAVEN'T seen any pics like this! Anybody ever seen something like this before?

I can't BELIEVE I have to go to work right now....

Edited to say: I remember reading a post with a similar pic that I of course cannot find now....

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Yes - there is another post about an egg very similar - or more likely an ovary!

5. karmical

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    When I got home from work she was acting "not herself". Lethargic even. Her crop was empty and there were only two small poos, (looked like there was mucus in there, but they didn't smell bad) so I'm sure she didn't eat while I was gone. I did see her take a few sips of water though.

Decided to bring her back down to the coop to be with the others and she went straight for a nesting box. Didn't go in at that point though...instead, she hopped up on the roost and then passed a glob of I-don't-know-what. (I couldn't get a photo because the other chickens were too eager to investigate.) The only way I can think to describe it is what I'd imagine an internal organ looks like...it was off-white in color, like a big sac with a long sort of tube coming out of it. No blood though.

After that she hopped down and went into a nest box. It's night now and the rest have all gone to roost, so I thought I'd leave her be in the nest box overnight to sleep and see how she is in the AM.

I re-read that other thread and saw that THAT story had a happy ending...so I'm hoping mine will be too. I just wish I knew if there's anything I can do for her.

Thanks for listening [​IMG]

6. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Goodness! That's one gross egg. I am a new mommy to chickens too, so I can't really help you on this. I bet that she'll be just fine. Good luck! [​IMG]

7. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Please keep us updated on how she is tomorrow.

Best wishes , and hopes she recovers successfully.

Julie [​IMG]

8. karmical

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    Thanks so much for the well wishes! It really helps [​IMG]

I just got back from checking on her in the coop and she made it up onto the roost with the others! Seems like a good sign...fingers are crossed for finding her even better in the AM.

Thanks again [​IMG]

9. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    can you get a pic of what she passed after she hopped on the roost?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by