1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first Serama egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BorderKelpie, Nov 8, 2009.

1. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I found my very first Serama egg today (well, yesterday - lol). I hatched a couple from aberfitch and then went and picked up a couple more. His birds are beautiful.
    Honestly didn't expect eggs until next spring since they are so tiny. What a neat surprise that tiny little bitty egg was. I am not sure which of the two girls in that pen laid it, but I am saving it anyway. I am hoping that she or they lay a few more and I can pop them in the incubator. (I know that pullet eggs probably won't hatch, but it doesn't hurt to hope).
    Just had to share.
    Thanks!!

2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I think you just had to post pictures [​IMG]

3. BorderKelpie

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I wish I could. I only have access on my work computer and 'Big Brother' is always watching. [​IMG]
    I want everyone's opinions on my Seramas, too. I am going to see if I can talk a friend into uploading pics so I can post them here. *sigh* I may have to break down and get internet at home. Shoot, what I don't do for my chickens!!
    edited because I have issues finding that elusive space bar - lol

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  4. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Big Brother would be very lenient if you shared some yummy eggs! Then we could have pics [​IMG]

5. BorderKelpie

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Good idea! I'll try that. lol

6. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Take you camera and cord to a friends! I wanna see!!
    Or try the library or sneak into a college? lol

I would wait and hatch later eggs, even if these DO hatch, you are going to have some tiny weak babies the size of a bumblebee!
    Can you let the Mom try to hatch them?
    Might have better luck that way.
    Serama are super broodies!
    Good luck!

7. BorderKelpie

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Actually, these eggs are about the size that I hatched my Seramas from. And I think that maybe both girls are laying now. I have in the last four days, found 3 white and 1 creme colored egg in their pen. [​IMG]
    If nothing else, the eggs make me happy. I feel like a silly little kid when I find them.
    I have caught one of the roos (the best one I have, no less) doing what it is he is supposed to be doing to make these eggs hatch. There, is that ok for a family forum? I have never been good at censering myself. (That's why my parrots aren't allowed in public - lol). Now, if I can just convince the quail that this is the time of year they are supposed to be laying.......

8. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Pullet eggs do hatch, but even the normal sizedeggs may hatch chicks that are tiny, weak, an unhealthy.

Congrats on the first egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by