My first set... and there are twins

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fanov8, Sep 8, 2010.

1. fanov8

fanov8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Hi everyone! I had not planned on incubating any eggs until next year. We recently moved to Tennessee from Indiana, my husband is still working in Indiana but was down to visit for the weekend. His brother called and said that our rooster went after the dog and as you can imagine it didn't end well [​IMG] So I grabbed a few eggs (ok 10) out of the fridge. I let them sit out overnight and then stuck them in the incubator. When my husband came home the next weekend he brought the 4 eggs that were laid the same day as our rooster accident so I threw them in there too. I'm new to hatching so I didn't realize that I should have candled first to see if any eggs were double yolkers. So when I candled on day 7 I was surprised to see a double yolker with veins. It seems to be the only one of the 10 refrigerated eggs to be doing anything, but then again the others are dark brown eggs. And all 4 of the fresh eggs had veining when I candled on day 4. Does anyone know if one of the "twins" doesn't make it, would it be possible for the other to fully develop? I really hope these guys make it because I would love to have some little fuzz butts to remind us of our rooster that we lost. He was a White Crested Black Polish and the hens are a Barred Rock, RIR, Black Sex Link, and Red Sex Link. I'm kinda curious as to what these guys will look like too. Anyhow, today is day 9 for the first 10 and day 7 for the other 4. This is so stressful waiting! I feel like a first time mom! [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello,

Twins are extremely rare, but they CAN hatch. I watched a video of twin chicks hatching from an egg, I believe it happened at a hatchery overseas. Maybe sometimes one twin will "fizzle out" and die, while the other twin grows? I am truly speculating, but keep us posted!

3. Heidi Riley

Heidi Riley Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Washington State
    [​IMG] Yes, please keep us posted [​IMG]

4. fanov8

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Eeeeek! I went out and bought one of the Coleman Max Flashlights today, and wow!!! They are fantastic! I candled all the eggs since I really couldn't see very good with the flashlight that I had. I was shocked to be able to see baby chicks wiggling around!!!! Including my twins! I don't know if there are 2 of them still or just one, I didn't want to keep it out for very long! I was so excited to see it! [​IMG] I also found that 5 of the other eggs in the first batch are wigglers too! The other 4 were quiters. And the 4 that my husband brought were doing great too! I could see veining in all of them and even saw a chick move in 1 or 2 of them! It was soooo cool!!! I'll see if I can figure out how to download pictures later! Thanks for the support, it means alot!

5. Heidi Riley

Heidi Riley Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2010
    Washington State
    [​IMG] nice

6. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    Quote:NICE!! Coleman All this chick talk we been doing LOL I went to Ellettsville Orschlens to get dog food well guess what Jamie (and all) they had baby chicks!! so I bought 5 of them!! EEEKKK! I am in so much trouble LOL!my hubbie rolls his eyes everytime I talk bout chickens!! LOL

7. fanov8

May 17, 2010
    East TN
    Here's a picture of the eggs the day that I set them:
    [​IMG]

And this is a picture of my double yolker today. It's really hard to get a good picture but I think you should be able to make it out. It's so much more clear in person!
    [​IMG]

8. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    Quote:WOW I see the wiggly in the middle is theat candle with your new coleman flashlight??

There is another dark spot at the top of egg by the "o" in pic is that chic 2? [​IMG]

9. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I can't wait to see how this all turns out!! Good luck and keep us posted please!

10. afishel

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    Jamie I got a fuzzy butt!! this morning 10:00 I will send you more pics when it is dried off!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    oh and I've got another one pipping!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by