My first shipped chicks arrived- no losses!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AccidentalFarm, May 2, 2007.

1. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Well, got my girls this morning, (Ideal Poultry was kind enough to add 7 Leghorn Roo's to the bunch [​IMG]). Luckily, all are alive and very active (sure didn't take long to dirty up the brooder!). We've spent much of the day getting aquainted, so I'm a little later getting pics up here than I had intended. I ordered: 2 Ameraucanas, 2 Gold Laced Cochins, 2 Buff Brahma, 2 Dark Brahma, and 2 Buff Orpingtons. And here they are:

Gold Laced Cochin
    [​IMG]

Buff Brahma
    [​IMG]

Dark Brahma
    [​IMG]

Ameraucana (silver)- "Sandra"
    [​IMG]

Buff Orp
    [​IMG]

Barred Plymoth Rock, RIR (both 2 weeks), and a 3 day Gold Laced Cochin
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  2. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    schaweeet!!! I am supposed to get mine tomorrow from ideal...post office says they should get off the truck around 130pm...seems a long time to be in the box...how long did yours take to arrive? I already got told by them that there will be a bunch of males added to mine also:/

3. AccidentalFarm

Mar 29, 2007
    Mine shipped Monday, and I picked them up at 7:30 this morning, so 2 days shipping time. If you also have extra roo's, I can at least tell you what breed they likely are: Ideal 236, White Leghorns. I got 7 added to my order of 10 pullets.
    Let us know when you get yours!

4. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    af...your in texas???isnt that where the ideal hatchery is? howd it take 2 days to get there from there? Im in Rochester NY and the trucks dont get into the post office with the priority mail until 130pm according to the postal clerk i spoke to today.

5. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    so i wonder whether a white leghorn rooster would get along ok with a production red rooster which i already ordered...i shouldnt have bothered ordering a rooster at all if i had known they would include a bunch for free!
    [​IMG]:fl:yiipchick:ya

6. AccidentalFarm

Mar 29, 2007
    Yep, I'm in Texas. Roughly 4 hours from Ideal Hatchery- so, I don't know why it took 2 days for shipping. [​IMG]

Good news is that they are all still looking great, so apparently the shipping process went well for them.

I couldn't even begin to tell you if the roo's will get along. I suspect they'll be fine, at least until they get to the age to have to fight over the hens. Even then, it is common to have more than one rooster, as they will sort out which is going to be the alpha roo, and on down the line. If they can't sort it out, then you'll have to step in and figure out which to cull.

I currently have a Polish roo, who is staying no matter what. I *maybe* have an RIR cockeral, who will also stay. Beyond that, if those two can get along with a Leghorn cockeral that I got at Easter time, then I'll be keeping all 3. I have 19 pullets/hens- so, really 3 roo's is overkill- but you know how easy it is to pick up a couple pullets here and there to add to the flock...[​IMG]

7. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    Pick up a couple extra pullets to round out the flock? Why, AF, *I* would never do such a thing. All chick purchases should be planned! PLANNED, I tell you! [​IMG]

So glad all your babies arrived in good health! They are sooooooooo cute. Give them a pat from me!

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  8. Oaknim

Oaknim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Sylvia, KS
    Congrats! I was hoping to hear some good news! Give those babies a kiss for me! ~ Oaknim

9. aran

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    this is the last night of being a chickenless household...there is an eerie silence in the place...why do i get the distinct impression that the quiet will be a distant memory in just a matter of hours?

All joking aside I CANT WAIT til tomorrow to get my lil chickens!

10. AccidentalFarm

Mar 29, 2007
    Oh, you just wait...the silence really becomes annoying right after your chicks have outgrown the brooder and moved to the coop. All the sudden there are no more musical little chirps and peeps to keep you company.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by