1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My First Sick Chicken: Does It Sound Like She'll Make It?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HJECG, Feb 18, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    Lulu, my 7 or 8 month old Splash Marans pullet seemed to stop growing at all or developing a few weeks ago. And then I noticed 3-4 days ago that she was very listless and quiet. Now she has lost weight and clearly has some kind of infection in both eyes. They're covered with a film of bubbly, very white pus. She's stopped eating too :-( No coughing or sneezing or wheezing. She just sits quietky and looks miserable. I've obviously now separated her from my other hens, and she has a cozy indoor crate. While I am 100% willing to take her to the vet if the odds are that she can be helped/saved, but I don't yet know enough about chicken health to decide whether this sounds super bad or more like something that a shot of chicken penicillin can clear up. Obviously, nobody can tell me for sure, but how bad does this sound to you guys? Thanks for any input.

2. UrbanviewFarm

UrbanviewFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    State of Jefferson
    I don't have quite enough info but my first guess would be a respiratory issue.

3. UrbanviewFarm

UrbanviewFarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    State of Jefferson
    Can you see or smell anything abnormal in the mouth?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  5. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    Thank you so much for the info and link. I'll be contacting the state vet right away tomorrow. Poor Lulu :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by